Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google programs and Vista

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, June 17, 2006
18 years ago3,307 views

Which Google Programs work in Windows Vista Beta 2 and which don't? Has anyone even Installed it? Just wondering.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I downloaded it and burned it to a DVD, and my computer rejected the installation. >:(some sort of visual c something or other error. I googled around for a solution but only found one other person with my problem. but i'm interested too. I bet most/all do though, i remember reading that MS was working hard on making old xp programs work with vista.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

im not installing Windows Vista(the beta version) cause it is beta!
its unstable OS that can trash your entire computer..
its ok to download a beta program or software(like Google;s softwares) but not OS!!

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

All I wanted was an answer to my question. Any way If I dual boot it I've still got XP

18 years ago #

<<Has anyone even Installed it?>>
it is a question isnt it?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

>it is a question isnt it?

Well it has a question mark :-)

I didn't mean are you going to install it. I was wondering wether any one already HAD installed it (So they could help me with the first question).

18 years ago #

lol.. :)
well, not me :P

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I installed Windows Vista. It worked great for me. I couldn't install Google Pack though because it said it required windows XP. I couldn't even download it. Google Talk worked though.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

form what I am understanding on this conversation, it means that certain google programs are NOT working on vista ??

e.g Earth, GDS, picasa etc etc ??

Would this mean that core rewrites would be expected from google ??

Dan Cousar [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Well, I think that from a coders stand point, Google when writing their code hasn't thought about Vista completely yet or atleast the coders of Google Pack haven't. From what I understand when Kirby tried to install Google Pack it said it required Windows XP, for all that we know they could have intended that check for Win98 or WinME. Meaning they put in a code that said "If you are not running Windows XP then you can not install this software." Thats a simple way of doing it that could have lead to not allowing it to be install on Vista, but it wasnt meant to disallow you from installing on Vista.

Kirby also said that Google Talk worked. Now, I'd like to know what other versions of Windows Google Talk actually works on. Or if its just that the coders who worked on Talk decided to make their program installable on anything XP and up Windows wise.

Now, while I'm saying that its possible that they only need to really change a few lines of code to work on Vista, its completely possible that they might go out of their way and do complete rewrites for Vista that would use it to its best ability.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!