Google Blogoscoped

Forum

20% - Wikipedia Limits Editing?

Sunil Nair [PersonRank 9]

Sunday, June 18, 2006
18 years ago2,696 views

According to a New York Times article at http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/17/technology/17wiki.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1150635742-bd5X2bfGdWce1+jqMBuSfg
Wikipedia is pulling back on its "anyone can edit" policy.

One good thing I notice from the article is that there is a "cooling off" period of 4 days for newly registered users during which they cannot edit/contribute. It ought to help the "knee-jerks", (pun unintended) whose misplaced passions might cool off by then.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It used to be that anyone could edit WITHOUT registration. It has certainly become much stricter.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

From what I understand to edit some semi-protected articles you need to be logged in, and also not be a super-new Wikipedia user. I think that's sort of the limited protection that still makes sense, but if they go further, they destroy the basis they stand on (easy public editing, including low quality edits, to make for overall quality results).

Sunil Nair [PersonRank 9]

18 years ago #

Personally, I think the limited protection is a good thing to reduce the fly-by-vandalism. But Philipp, you are right, any more restrictions or controls will badly damage the very core of the wiki philosophy.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

In fact this is a kind of old news. I've heard this already long time ago. It's indeed meant to limit the vandalism.

But most importantly there were (/are) several people that are using Wikipedia in not so orthodox manner:
* There were some -mostly American- politicians that entered Wikipedia content describing themselves in a very positive -and not always very true- way.
* There were other people -also mostly politicians- that entered Wikidpedia on their competitors pages that was not so positive and also not very true.
Both are not so ethical.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!