Google Blogoscoped

Forum

wiki.google.com?

Bryce [PersonRank 0]

Tuesday, June 20, 2006
18 years ago3,300 views

I was just wondering if Google has ever considered or is perhaps currently building, to your knowledge, their own wiki creation site such as www.jot.com, www.pbwiki.com, www.wetpaint.com, etc. It seems as though this would fit in nicely with their Web 2.0 suite of apps flooding out their door. aka – wiki.google.com?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Maybe they can buy Wikipedia... I think the community would complain though... don't they sponsor Wikipedia servers from time to time to stabilize the project?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

eh ..sponsor servers ?? thats news too me!!

Would the community would complain ?? I dont see a reason why they should complain as long as the service is free

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It's not whether they buy it or not, it's what they do with the purchase that counts. Perhaps they could incorporate it into their search more – as a onebox? or have they already done that?

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Google Wiki? No need. I think Google's dealing with Answers.com

Bryce [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

We're talking about people creating their own wikis with Google as the backbone, not a Google wiki about Google which already exists unofficially (http://google.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page).

Bryce [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The ultimate Google wiki site creation tool – your own wiki with gmail, blogger, gcalendar, gdrive, gmaps, picasa web albums, gpages creator, etc integrated into it. They've got all the tools for users to create awesome wikis. It would blow all other wiki creation sites out of the water, including MediaWiki which Wikipedia uses! But maybe I'm just viewing the goal of the whole Web 2.0 thing in a different light.

18 years ago #

> eh ..sponsor servers ?? thats news too me!!

Also see:
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2005-02-10.html#n84

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

=="Google wants to collaborate with Wikipedia"

does not mean that they did.. I have not heard Jimmy Wales give any public announcement that google has helped them with server and bandwidth and neither has google!!

18 years ago #

Yeah that's why I phrased it as a question... I dunno myself...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!