Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Feedster Allows Indexing of Its Search Results  (View post)

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, June 22, 2006
18 years ago2,476 views

I really think that this kind of thing should be Google's responsibility. It is their search engine and it is noise in it. The bots should work out what not to include in the index.

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Deciding whether that's spammy or not depends on how the spidered Feedster pages look like and whether the service depends solely on those results like many so called parasitical search engines do.
Well, Feedster is certainly not only depending on it's results being indexed, so that's fine. So we shall take a look whether there is something more offered by Feedster on those indexed pages than just noise and ads (like spammers do, just repeating already otherwise searched results).
Right now there are no ads, but I can't see any extra service being offered this way when I click on a search like "naughtyalysha".

Before I conclude whether that is spammy or not. let me bring in the example of Fireball, a traditional German search engine, a very good one when it started but that lost momentum after Google took over the German market:
Fireball had highly optimzed serach results being indexed by Google and guess what, I often clicked them, even the sponsored results because Fireball did indeed find good results often. Soon afterwards thow Fireball was banned doing that in Google (or stopped by itsself?) whereas parasitical search engines show up everywhere again and again.

So in this case I am also not sure whether Feedster should quit that method of supplying more quasi-content even when they do not add an extra value to it.
When Technorati would let it's searches be indexed it would certainly add some value for the searcher to find it, how many people link t it, daily search statistics and such.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

If Google ever penalized this behavior, it's only wise for Feedster to get out of the fire line.

PS: A previous discussion of search engine results indexed. It's a *very* popular tactic of spammers, which of course doesn't mean it's always spam – I bet it's 30% people who simply forgot about robots.txt or meta exclusions.
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2004_01_13_index.html

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!