Google Blogoscoped

Forum

My take on PicasaWeb

SCJM [PersonRank 10]

Friday, June 23, 2006
18 years ago2,533 views

So I've been messing all day with PicasaWeb(http://picasaweb.google.com) and so far so good, but here are some things I think need to be fixed:

1. Allow uploading from website as well. From the looks of it it looks like this whole service is a plot to get people to download Picasa. One would think Google learned their lesson with the Google Video Uploader. Later they implemented a web uploader, but had that happened early on it would be a lot more popular than it is now. I can totally understand using Picasa to upload large batches of photos, but If I were in a web cafe or something and I wanted to upload some photos, I'm stuck.

2. More standard space. I'm planning on purchasing the 6GB dealy, but why is the standard storage a mere 250MB? My Gmail is ten times that.

3. No online editing tools. Yahoo Photos has all sorts of Photoshop type filters which can be applied right in the browser. The only thing I can see on the PicasaWeb is that I can rotate and delete photos. Fun. Basic cropping is a must.

4. No way to completely privatize albums. Similar to Google Calendar there needs to be a feature where one inputs the allowed email addresses allowed to view the pictures in the specific folder. Now that I'm writing this I'm surprised Google used folders instead of labels :P

5. There needs to be a button in Gmail where I can send attached photos to my PicasaWeb gallery. This would be nifty.

6. Needs more tagging/searching. I plan on uploading all of my photos to here, and when I have time I would like to tag all of them for easy searchability.

Garett Rogers [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You have some pretty good ideas there... They are all ones that I hope are included in future versions of the site...

However, I think the first suggestion you made already exists... when you are viewing an album you can click the "upload photos" link on the left hand side.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

1. You can upload photo's. Just make a new album en choose upload photos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/koen.vanloo/Screenshots/photo#4943815154024120338

2. OK

3. I'm in.

4. You are right.

5. Nice idea.

6. This is true.

There is already of those suggestion on this forum e.g. on http://blogoscoped.com/forum/39491.html .

Maybe you should submit your suggestion to Google too...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Definitely agreed on 2, 3 and 4. A photo editor may be another missing piece of the puzzle, and privatizing albums is a must.

SCJM [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Oh I figured out the web uploader. It's pretty awesome with the activex part, as you can just select as many photos as you want with one shift thing... you have to use it to understand...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!