Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Billiard Trick Shots (Video)  (View post)

Cristian Mezei [PersonRank 5]

Monday, July 3, 2006
18 years ago4,992 views

Btw Philipp are you goint to the SeoRoadShow in Copen ?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Nope :)
Next stop is Web Monday in Cologne tomorrow.

Cristian Mezei [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

I'd wish I had the time to go places ...

Leszek [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Must be damn hard to pot anything on that table ;)

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I don't understand this game of billiards ;) Where's the pockets?They sure do amazing tricks with the ball though! My guess is the point is to use the Cue ball to make the other two balls hit???

Kenneth [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

That last shot is incredible.

Stuk [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Sorry...but I don't really get what they're managing to do that's so special...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Well, to clarify a bit behind this...

The game is played on a table without pockets. The objective is to hit both balls after shooting the cue ball (easiest variant) or to hit the balls with the added rule that the cue ball must hit the cushions three times (hard variant). The game is called "drei-band" in German or "carambol". It requires a bit of a different mindset than 9-ball or 8-ball pool.

Now what the guys did was first to explain their shot in detail in advance. I cut this out of the video, of course it's important but the video also would have been much longer.. and much more German :)
Every trick shot is part of a defined library of shots numbered from 1-100, as the same shots are used in "billiard artistique" tournaments around the world. For every shot, you get 3 tries. As soon as you get the shot right you stop, but if you hit 3 and you failed you won't try again.

Some of the shots shown in the video actually look rather simple. Believe me, each of them are incredibly hard to perform. One of the guys in the video plays pool for 30 years, on and off (the left-handed player, for which the balls had to be set up "mirrored" according to the rule book). Each shot has a difficulty level number from (I think) 1-10, 10 being the hardest.

I'm no expert on this, but that's how I understood it...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!