Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Sick of Reading Google "Only Leads In Search"

or [PersonRank 10]

Monday, July 3, 2006
18 years ago2,544 views

And I say so what. Google is not trying to lead in the other things, they are just trying to make Search indispensable, not a commodity.

People misunderstand Google, because they don't believe them. Google says they are focusing on search, so look at their products as how they relate to search. The answer is simple – they are collecting information, on and offline, to improve search. Look at the products they are releasing. They are all focused on gathering either personal or commercial information. Google is not trying to build an "Office Suite"; they are trying to build information of all types into their search system so they can analyze and improve search. So then Google can come back and say – here, use our search engine as the access point to all your info – commercial, personal, scholarly, books, analytics, trends, statistics, etc., etc.

Google doesn't want to lead the market in everything. They just want to be the access point to everything. In google's mind, you only need one access point – search, and in that, their market share continues to grow.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think they stick to their motto and want to organize the world's information and make it accessible. Search is part of that of course, the biggest for now and probably remaining the biggest part, too, but e.g. if there's a future in which other approaches of bringing us the information evolve, then they'd be on it too. They can datamine all the info we're giving them and then use (n' abuse) this for different results.

I don't think this contradicts that they're building a web office suite. I think they do, and sometimes they even lose focus on search temporarily (e.g. you can't search Spreadsheets yet).

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You can't search in:
Spreadsheets
Picasa Web Albums
Google Reader (search your feeds)

Sunil Nair [PersonRank 9]

18 years ago #

Philipp, some of their tools are to create information right under their nose(s). Then, they organize it too. From an easily searched place...the Web.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!