Google Blogoscoped

Forum

google base should provide site search

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

Monday, July 3, 2006
18 years ago2,322 views

Google should allow people to use Google Base to provide search on their own sites in the same way they alow regular site search on websites.

Sites that have carry content in "dark web" databases suffer from not having their content exposed to search engines, and often their own homegrown site search sucks.

A database like like the RIAA would benefit from having a fast, accurate, search that doesn't load down their servers.

Message boards / community sites / social networks would benefit from allowing all of their fields to be searchable, including commenter name, interests, connections, location, etc.

Google would benefit by giving people an incentive to load their databases on Google Base. Right now there isn't much incentive unless you're selling something. However, some of the richest information is still stuck in the dark web.

The public benefits from having all of these seperate databases searchable from one place. Imagine search for "Hashim" and finding my participation across every public social network, and all of my pro writing in LexisNexis.

What do you guys think of this idea?

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

good gracious... I should have spellchecked this beforehand. Pardon the grammar, and please add your 2 cents.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think Google should provide some kind of API-fied database backend for web developers. I'm not sure Google Base will or should go in that direction. We need some kind of Google SQL service. Maybe with a plain SQL query language as well as some higher level API functionality. Search would be a focus, of course. And you'd have to be able to make your database private, of course.

The first question is: where will Google display their ads with this one? But probably, it has values on its own to control larger parts of the web, and if a GSQL helps them with that...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!