Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google to File Antitrust Complaints Against Telcos If Necessary

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, July 5, 2006
18 years ago2,479 views

As read on Daily Tech, Google will take action against any Telco that imposes fees on certain types of internet traffic. Indeed, if this happens, this could be a real danger for Googles business model.

Read more on: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3159

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

But this is in direct conflict with Tim Berners-Lee, who said..

"If I pay to connect to the Net with a certain quality of service, and you pay to connect with that or greater quality of service, then we can communicate at that level."

http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/144

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think both articles say the same. Only the emphasis in both articles is on two different things & indeed it can be misinterpreted. (Is this correct english?)

In the MIT webpage Tim Berners-Lee says that there is not problem if one has to pay more to have a better quality access to the Internet (e.g. ADSL vs Dialup connection) as long as we can talk to eachother. (Indeed I can see the same webpages on both connections. I only have to wait a bit longer with Dialup.)

The Dailytech article tells us that there is a problem if certain types of services are to be paid for. E.g. my ISP offers me an internet connection, but if I want to connect to Google, than I'll have to pay more. (A bit like different subscription models of cable television.) This would indeed be a problem, because then ISP's will become the regulators of the internet market and Googles business model couldn't exist any longer.

If I understand both articles right there is no contradiction in both articles but as said they are complimentary...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Art : I thn it means more then just that.. ISP are gearing up for IPv6. this needs to get tunneled over v4 circuits to sustain end2end points. However, ISP and TELCO want to leverage the 128 byte IP header of the packet.

Within this there are two elements which consistuent 24-bit Flow Label enables identification of traffic flows that identifies (a) Drop Priority field to manage conflicts (b) RSVP used by routers to deal with requests

So this means that QOS now can be leverage based on what the Users has 'buys' – so this means if the telco prefers for e.g. Yahoo then they will NOT drop that persons packet and this will be "favoured" over a "bit" which indicates "goog". This implies better connection speeds and services.

So Native V6 routers now will have the advantage of RED (Randam Early dectection) and congestion control methods.

Remember that Google so doing the OC12 Dark Fiber for themselves and they also have a pool of V5 address space, but they still need the backbone NOT to gie preferentinal treatment to packets on the V4 end points!!

Sorry, if its to technically...V6 was one of my old research projects and the implications are enomorus.. we debated this issue very furiously on the IETF and IPng working groups in '98/99

...and now the dragon rears its head to breath fire down and brimstone to haunt us :)_

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!