Google Blogoscoped

Forum

The Most-Searched for Movies  (View post)

Joey J. [PersonRank 5]

Wednesday, July 5, 2006
17 years ago4,305 views

Wtf. Take a look at the screenshot you took – it lists Alexander as having more results than Aviator. Either that or I'm really confused.

Kyle [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Your right, just going to mention it, but you beat me by 26 seconds.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Would "results" represents "Searches" ??

I see the same thing with other titles too. I think what google is trying to "suggest" is that here the most "typed in term" – not the one with the most results within the SERP..

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Correct /pd – just because something has more results doesn't mean it would be searched for more...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes, I only counted what was ranking best (on top), not what has the most result pages. The number of searches is likely to be how Google Suggest determines its rankings (of course, we don't really know...).

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yes we do know: http://labs.google.com/suggestfaq.html#q2
"Our algorithms use a wide range of information to predict the queries users are most likely to want to see. For example, Google Suggest uses data about the overall popularity of various searches to help rank the refinements it offers. An example of this type of popularity information can be found in the Google Zeitgeist. Google Suggest does not base its suggestions on your personal search history."

Alberto [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

What I find interesting is that people are so used to Google that they use it to go to the IMDb-page of a movie, instead of going to the IMDb site and searching the movie there.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!