Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Video Labels promotion

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, July 6, 2006
17 years ago2,822 views

I know the Google video labels is far from being a new idea, but it has been floating around in my thoughts for the past few days. How does Google glean which labels are spam and which are geniune labels to the video? I suppose you could hire a group of people to view all the video's and report which labels are correct, but with people adding more and more every day, there is no way this would be feasable. As it currently stands, often I see the correct label followed by key spam labels. What Google needs is an incentive for people to correctly label the videos and I believe that Google can do this with there paid videos. Here's the senerio; You're one of the first say 10000 people to label the video; without having the label being displayed, you input what you believe the most accurate label for the video is and Google combines all the tallies and the label that gets the highest percentage gets a few cents toward a movie and the first label for the video; the second highest gets a few less cents and the second label, and so on and so on... You've created a incentive to view and to label all in one clean shot, and on the plus side Google now has rock solid labels for it's video and a way to attach the correct ads the videos :)

Ps. Abuse would be limited because the "labeling" would be tied to your Google account.

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i think it would be enough to only "believe" a label if it's been submitted say 100 times.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yeah, or take the top 10 of the most-submitted labels per video (while requiring that Google Accounts don't submit duplicate labels per video). This way, the labeling would scale, if there's not many labels you'd always see 10, but if there's like a million Google would filter through them and only takes the top ones. Maybe right now they're just throwing it out to check what people do with this. Like the new comments feature, which seems definitely half-baked (= you need to provide a new nickname for posting, which doesn't seem to be something very integrated in terms of long-term Google OS integration etc.)

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Maybe 10000 was alittle to grandos, but in my defense it was 2am when I posted this so my head was a little fuzzy :) 100 might work, but it seems to easy for a group to jury rig the results.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm seeing lots of nonsense labels on Google Video. I saw the label "sexy girls" on a video with a car crash or something – completely unrelated.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I've also seen people write their comments as a label – some people just don't know what they are!!

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They need a filtering system to cut down the maximum size of the label. Also, perhaps have a blacklist.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!