Saturday, July 8, 2006
17 years ago3,635 views

http://www.youos.com/html/static/manifesto.html

Google is Web based microsoft – so how about a Web based OS

Just counting the DAYS until Google Approaches these People

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Too Many Users Online
We're currently in alpha stage and are limiting the number of users who can login. There seem to be too many users already online at the moment.
Please try again shortly.

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Please Please Please buy this YouOS , Google or create something similar.
This + disk space + availability and bandwidth + third party developers will rock..
mayb then they'll create some linux which only depends from this. So our PCs will be cheap machines, only needing some gd internet connection and will function like hell!
ah .. enough dreaming..

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

lol,

but youre right..
they should buy it.. (and if they will, theyre one step closer to G-Drive)

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<Just counting the DAYS until Google Approaches these People>>
Or they could go for the EyeOS approach. Although I havn't used YouOS I assume it's a similar thing.
www.eyeos.org
www.eyeos.info

17 years ago #

YouOS seems much more powerful esp. because of the apps designed for it.

OREO [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Do you actually think you will use such a slow "browser" operating system?

17 years ago #

in few years this will be faster than my offline os

17 years ago #

There's no way you can have a faster internet connection than the speed of your hard drive.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ionut:
When I was at university, there was a professor who told us that it was technical impossible to push more than 9.6 Kbps over a copper cable and he did prove that at the moment.

Lesson of this little story, never say 'there's no way'. At most say 'I don't know of a way at the moment'.

17 years ago #

You don't need to have an internet speed faster than the HDD if everything is performed on the server. As you see it "installs" its tiny apps in seconds and what your internet connection needs to do is showing the "rendered" forms.

17 years ago #

So what if you want to convert a DVD to a Quicktime video? You have to upload 4GB to Google and download another gigs to your computer.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> So what if you want to convert a DVD to a Quicktime
> video? You have to upload 4GB to Google and download
> another gigs to your computer.

But what if in another case, you want to mix and mash your favorite public domain movies into a new clip? It's 2008, you have Google Premiere running, and you just select your favorite scenes from thumbnails, merge them, and in the end click a button and they're on your Google Page account... no downloads or uploads at all.

As for a traditional OS, I wonder if that's the right metaphor. I need very simple stuff only: a launch pad of some sort to access applications, and a way to store & retrieve my files.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Philipp: you've got the right picture. It'll be something like that. I've just installed my digital television box and it is already quite like that.

Ionut: I sure think broadband connection will mean 10+ Gbps connections in some years. Time doesn't stand still...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!