Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Girgle  (View post)

Anonymous [PersonRank 0]

Monday, July 10, 2006
18 years ago4,963 views

Why should this site be shut down by Google ?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Possibly, trademark infringement. They're using the Google colors, they're doing search, they don't say it's unofficial etc. ... but of course, they may be protected by some or other right...

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yeah, I think it would probably be considered parody, but Google might stop them using (Google's) search.

shawn [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Here's something curious, doing a search on that sight for girls (it is a search engine for girls right? ;-P) lands you on a google.com url but with pink background. I wasn't aware that Google result pages could be customized like that.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yeah shawn you can make your own search engine either for your site or the web

alek [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I also wasn't aware you could customize the background, but makes sense since they are just using the Adsense for Search (which allows this type of stuff) – look at the URL and you will see the Publisher ID encoded up there.

Pretty darn funny idea if you ask me ... and since they are using Google's own service to provide the results, I don't see where the issue would be ... speaking as a non-lawyer so YMMV.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The logo on the homepage. But I hope that's not an issue because I...

Joey J. [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

I was very wtf as to why they're doing it – apparantly the webmaster needs to pay off some thing I didn't read. I'm not thinking it'd do a lot of good, though – Google can easily be redone as that on the 'official' page with some CSS and the Firefox Stylish plugin.

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The only trouble I could see them running into is people thinking the site is an offical Google site. A simple disclaimer at the bottom might sure up loose ends.

sasha.kunis@gmail.com [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Google lawyers are too busy making sure that L&S's elaborate 767 interior decorating requests remain private.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Is it my perverted mind, or is this a search engine for men (or other girls) to search for a partner? =)

What a shame... no one's bought a pixel block!

They'll be taken down by Google, no doubt.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

They are using Google's AdSense for Search
https://www.google.com/adsense/ws-overview

From the terms and conditions: "Each Web page(s) that contains a Search Box must also contain other content related to Your Site".

Somehow I don't think that a search box plus advertisements counts as "other content related to your site".

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!