Google Blogoscoped

Forum

When Will Gdrive Be Public (If Ever)?  (View post)

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, July 11, 2006
17 years ago5,642 views

“You can tell by the words they use, that Platypus in an inter-Google thing. It’s for the employees.”

... *is* an inter-Google ...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thanks, fixed!

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I would think the writely team was busy building spreadsheet.google.com. And I would guess they have to build writely from scratch just like they should do with blogger.com. Blogger.com and Writely are both application which do not run on the google platform. This is why they are stuck in time.

Maybe GDrive can become the great integrator for many services, as an extra layer in the google platform. This would mean that there is a huge update coming for many google services. But this might just be wishfull thinking.

Just some questions:
   – Is google trying to hard to build every application on the google platform? is that even posible?
   – Is google working on a great integration project or is integration with other applications and services always retrofitted in later.
   – Is someone working on writely.com, blogger.com, hello.com, pages.google.com, blogsearch? They all seam to collect a lot of dust.
   – What is the master plan? Is there a plan???

Btw you should remember that Gmail also started as an internal application. So it wouldn't be strange if Gdrive is aldready in use internally at google before it makes it to the public.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This is certainly an internal asset that is being deployed and used.

I think the confirmation on the auto email notification proved that. Logically speaking, the inverstor con call (ppt) proved the intentions of retaining and serving "ALL" user data in a centeral repositry. The glue that ties all this down is not visable yet... right now I can see them data housing with [calendar, gmail, spreadsheet, picasa, blogger, writely]-

Albeit these are all different services and seperate database instances for sure. But this does not mean that all can't be glued together in one seamless methods to create a crafted expereince for the community. Whether is called Gdrive or not is a mute point. Either way eventually the future will require that a user has access to all data thru a single interface...

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

After this has been used successfully internally, why would Google NOT roll it out publicly, given that it fits their stated future direction like a glove?

Nik Cubrilovic [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Wouler: They wouldn't have to re-write it, Writely is very much a client-side application, the backend for it (save file, read file, login user) would be trivial to re-write in Java or whatever else Google would prefer

Roger: Two reasons, product probably isn't ready for public consumption, and the costs involved. Google always raise the bar with product releases, and an online storage release would have to be extra special (ie. integrate all their products) and provide a large amount of storage.

I find the discussion about Google using Gdrive as the platform to bring all their apps (which at the moment are somewhat fragmented) together very interesting – this would be a realisation of the thin-client model envisaged over a decade ago by Ellison and others. This is certainly how we have approached our own online storage offering, Omnidrive (disclaimer: I am the founder and CEO, shameless plug), except that we would like to see our users given more choice as to which applications they would like to integrate as opposed to just Google apps.

Thanks for the mention Philipp

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google might need to perform a mass migration project to pull all of its apps together, but I have the feeling that Google's apps are already connected. If it looks like they aren't, that very well might be on purpose.

All of Google's apps probably already have the ability to interface with GDrive. Google is so much more forward-thinking that many of us think. Let's not forget that David Braginsky claimed to have become the techlead of project platypus way back on July 17th, of 2004.
http://daveey.netapt.com/weblog/

There definitely is a master plan. :-)

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Just came by this company: Caringo.

It's building some kind of 'hardware agnostic' software storage solution with properities that Google must like a lot: cheap, hardware independant, fast, scalabale, webdriven, etc.

Read about their philosophy here: http://www.caringo.com/company_philosophy.html.

Paul Carpentier is one of the founders and now CTO. Mr. Carpentier was already founder of some great companies. One of them was Filepool that is bought by EMC² and that is the base technology of their Centera product.

This could deliver some kind of 'Gdrive' technology. Something to watch, I think. BTW their product is called CAStor (from content adressable storage).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!