Google Blogoscoped

Forum

the end of net neutrality?

Rodolphe [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, July 12, 2006
18 years ago2,321 views

Hi, i'm a Google fan in France,
and recently i noticed something strange!
I can't access the US google vidéo page, thus restricting my access to Google videos!!
It keeps sending me to the .fr page!!
Is Google applying to France the same policies it's applying in China?
What a shame!!
The end of "no evil"?
It's strange though, ince i still can go to the google.com page, it's seems to be Gloogle video specific!!

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Try http://video.google.com/?ncr

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Even if that's the case, that wouldn't be a net neutrality issue. Net neutrality deals with tiers of the internet, allowing some traffic to be given a higher priority than other traffic.

As Wikipedia describes it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality):

Because of the framing of network neutrality in terms of the prospect of "prioritizing particular applications," debate has tended to focus on whether network providers should be allowed to speed up or deprioritize such applications. This has resulted in considerable contention and confusion, and it has also led many to conceptualize network neutrality in terms of applications as such, rather than in terms of how the transport layer brings about flexibility and uniform information flow.

Since the transport is designed for flexibility, Internet access has been provided to users on a price model based on bandwidth capacity. A long-running debate over the prospect of offering quality of service—prioritized treatment of information flows for particular applications—over the IP transport layer (using certain fields provided in the original protocol) has led us to where we stand today.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!