Google Blogoscoped

Forum

The Google Story in German  (View post)

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, July 12, 2006
18 years ago3,646 views

I presume from what you say that Verbindungen would not be an appropriate translation of hyperlinks?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The phrase they had to translate was "related links". The correct translation for "link" for example is "Link" or "Verweis" or if you want to be esoteric but still correct "Verknüpfung". "Verbindung" on the other hand is completely wrong, and brings up associations of "connections to Google" (you know, if you have Google AdSense you are suddenly friends with a Google employee, or something... it really doesn't make any sense). As for "related links", well, it could be translated to a number of things, like "kontextabhängiger Link" or "sich auf den Inhalt beziehender Verweis" or something. I'd have to research the best translation for "related links", there might be something available, but the simple "Verbindungen" is very wrong. Maybe the translator didn't know the concept of links (or related links)...

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ah, I understand.

Thank you for the explanation – you learn something new every day!

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'm currently reading "The Search" in French – "La révolution Google" – and it's quite good, but I think that John Battelle do too many asides, so it"s not easy to follow him in his story...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!