Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Another massive ad on SERPS

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

Friday, July 14, 2006
17 years ago2,587 views

It looks like big advertising is going to become common in google land...

http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/images/sidebar.png

How dare they.

Jens Minor [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

I can't follow you. Which Ad?

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

170x230 is hardly "massive". He's refering to the google desktop ad that's (a) at the very bottom of serps, so doesn't interfere with reading the page or loading times and (b) is really the only effective way of showing the sidebar.

Don't overreact, kids.

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I've seen the large serp ad a couple of times while surfing and it really isn't an intrusive ad; as Caleb E mentioned, it's at the bottom of the page and I found that I was actually drawn to it due to the lack of flashy pictures in the rest of the page.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Caleb E: You're right, it doesn't interfere with reading the page or loading times but it does get in the way of (or, rather, moves) the "Next" link for reading page 2 of the results – especially since it shows intermittently.

Quite sneaky really – put an ad where people will probably be clicking if they don't leave the SERP via one of the results...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Well, I'm getting emails on those ads and some people really think they're annoying.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's just the fact that they're force feeding people into at least looking at Google Desktop.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The usual "Get the Google Toolbar" ad is bad enough. I'm sure a lot of their clicks come from people clicking on the searchbox image (within the ad) because they want to do a search.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!