Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Blogger Translates Book, Gets Shut Down  (View post)

Taiwanese Hank [PersonRank 1]

Saturday, July 15, 2006
18 years ago4,783 views

The guy should have known better.

Kevin Fox [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

I interpreted the headline (with logo) as saying the product Blogger had translated the book and got shut down, rather than just a guy who was using the Blogger service.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I can see how the title can be misunderstood... didn't think of that!

Stephen Glynn [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

And who can blame Kundera and his publishers? Of course he's going to want to translate the novel himself, or at least approve a translation, rather than let someone else produce their version of his work. It's not just a question of money; the man's native language is Czech and he's publshed many major novels in that language. Obviously he's going to be concerned about unauthorised translations – particularly if they aren't that good. Even if they are, he'll want to retain control of translations in case the next unauthorised translation is a dud.

Michal Hantl [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Tak Kundera to dotáhl až na Google Blogscoped:) I když tímhle způsobem..

Eric Cranston [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

Seems like they should've contacted the dude though.. and been like thanks but no thanks and then contact blogger

Plus in today's world you can't stop someone from distributing digital data...without sueing the person themselves or something. So you delete it from blogger, then he throws it up on a new one, they ip ban him, he goes to livejournal or googlepages or a free webhost or just creates a torrent of it or etc. etc.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

<< I interpreted the headline (with logo) as saying the product Blogger had translated the book and got shut down, rather than just a guy who was using the Blogger service.

I thought the same way after reading the first words from the title. Maybe because Blogger is a strong brand, stronger than the word that made the brand.

Czech Citizen [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

There was no copyrigted/translated wotk on this cancelled/deleted blogger site, there was only link to russian website, where is the file placed – http://totoznost891.chat. r u /totoznost.pdf. So is it against some Blogger rules to write about some translations and post link to the blogger article?

And why this blog blocks "arjuuu" as r and u domain in text???

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It's more than just a link:
http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?p=totoznost.blogspot.com&fr=FP-tab-web-t400&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8&u=totoznost.blogspot.com/&d=dKHSSzmtM-cb&icp=1&.intl=us

18 years ago #

> And why this blog blocks "arjuuu" as r and
> u domain in text???

'Cause unfortunately a relatively high number of posts containing that string are spam/ malware/ domains containing copyright infringements. Your link above kind of proves the point. It's certainly not always the case, in fact I'd say most ru sites are perfectly normal, so if I had a better way to shield against this kind of spam I'd be happy to unblock this (and I do from time to time unblock it, but then feel the need to bring it back based on new spam)...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

==>>"I interpreted the headline (with logo) as saying the product Blogger "

Whereas, I immediately associted the term "blogger" Iwithin the post title) as a person!!

[From the notice to google] ==" Milan Kundera has not even authorised your company to communicate this work to the public on the Internet"

This means the publishers legal counsel went stright to google as a company to copyprotect their own works.

FWIW, the guy who translated the stuff still "has not" (?) been notified that he can't blog it.. or place it for public consumption.

.....and there is NO international law , which DOES NOT permit him to translate this and everyother works for personal use!!

18 years ago #

> ... works for personal use!!

But he republished it...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

agreed-- :)- Just don't publish ...

Libor Nováček [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Why Google deleted the Blog with link, but the copy of translated work is still in the Google searchengine cache? http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:VBe1VbPD3L4J:totoznost891.chat. r u/totoznost.pdf+&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!