Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google used to find biological parents

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, July 16, 2006
17 years ago3,305 views

Watch & read this television news story here:
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa060715_lj_adoption.1703b17c.html

A couple of sidemarks...
This news story perfectly illustrates the new verb "to google" and the way news services and other people can easily mesled by unclear information.

They tell that the persons have found eachother by searching the Google Adoption database. I don't think such a search application exists. Otherwise it would already be mentioned overhere.

What is happening?

First of all the link that is on the article side box links not to the Google Adoption database but to the Google Directory – Section Adoption. If you watch the little movie than you see that they also show screenshots of the Google Groups of The Adoption Database.

And if you go to the Adoption Database website, you see that it isn't linked at all with Google but that it's Intuit driven.

Lesson learned: how to use a trendy marketing name to promote something else!

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

this is Google Adoption:
http://www.google.com/Top/Home/Family/Adoption/

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

they should thank ODP/DMOZ.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ionut, like i said it's only a link to the Google Directory page about adoption. The real database they use was the Adoption Database which is a Google independant website. It doesn't even use any Google technology apart from the Google Groups they use as a discussion forum...

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google Directory pages (such as the one Ionut Alex linked to) all say "Modified by Google (C) 2005". Only the Google Directory Home Page seems to say 2006.

I wonder if Google just forgot to update the notice, or whether they haven't bothered to apply any page-rank re-sorting modifications recently. They certainly have been downplaying Google Directory since the link to it was taken off the front page.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!