Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Page Creator Tutorials  (View post)

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, July 19, 2006
18 years ago2,264 views

Google Pages reminds me of the good old days but nevertheless I miss CSS support more than JS. Not being able to edit the whole template makes me almost crazy. But in fact I finally managed to publish a web site that looks quite naked but quite OK: http://onreact.googlepages.com/

Dmitri [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

You're right, Tadeusz. GPC is really not a good way to build websites with more than a couple of pages. For example, it took me nearly 2 hours to update all the pages on GooglePage eXplorer by cutting-and-pasting in GPC. So even though I demonstrated that a site with "advanced" features technically CAN be created in GPC alone, I am not sure that it SHOULD be done that way.

In fact, manually uploading HTML files is a better way to build a multi-page site on GooglePages, which incidentally also allows to add CSS templates and anything else.

That said, the default home page can only be edited in GPC, which is where being able to add counters in GPC becomes important. Now that GPC finally allows JavaScript, site stats can be collected across a "hybrid" GooglePages site, which contains both manually-uploaded HTML and a few (or just one) GPC-published pages. On such a hybrid site, it is possible to take advantage of free and fast Google hosting and to add customized content and design elements, beyond those supported in GPC.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!