Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Will Microsoft kill Goffice?

Mayank [PersonRank 3]

Thursday, July 20, 2006
18 years ago2,851 views

Well, I was surfing the net when I found out that Microsoft is letting people use Microsoft Office 2007 for free as a trial. Then I thought that it may be possible for the Microsoft to actually beat google in the office section on the internet....I wrote more about it over here : http://www.reviewsaurus.com/2006/07/microsoft-may-beat-goffice-or-other.html

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Probably, yes.

They launched Office Live, which can only keep on growing.

Ah well. We can still point and laugh at Windows Live Search. :-P

Mayank [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

Ah well. We can still point and laugh at Windows Live Search. :-P

Pointing and laughing!!! ha ha ha...nice one :)

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's only a desperate attempt to follow new trends. The application is offered on a *** Citrix *** platform. (Why not on there own terminal services???) It isn't Web 2.0 at all.

They have a big problem I think because of the technology mismatch. While Web 2.0 applications like Google and others are not as functional as the MS Office suite they are fully suited for the Internet and thus for the future.

It's a typically graphical evolution for all kind of technologies. Here you see the same graphic for personal navigation, but it's a fact for most technologies e.g. also applicable for the evolution from sailing tot steamboat technology.

http://www.fig.net/pub/proceedings/korea/full-papers/plenary1/rainio/rainio1.jpg

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

lol.. good one Joe :) (AKA Mambo)

besides that.. MS provides a free domain name to its beta testers...
yeah.. you got it right.. not a sub-domain.. or a hosting one, but a real domain..

but im not sure theyll kill G-Office after all..
people (like me) dont trust MS that much.... so im sticking with Open-Office and with the up-coming Google Office

James Bradbury [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

They had the same online trial for Office 2003. It took 15 minutes to load for me.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!