Google Blogoscoped

Forum

New Microsoft Desktop Mail

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

Friday, July 21, 2006
18 years ago2,650 views

This looks like a newly released Beta of a new MS Live product . It apparently lets you retrieve email from multiple email accounts with one log-in, including Gmail and AOL according to the blurb. You can get RSS feeds as well. I will try it latter, but looks interesting in concept at least. I don't know if there is anything completely new here, but it is new for Microsoft.

http://ideas.live.com/programPage.aspx?versionId=6ac2bed2-b5a4-4a0a-a897-e36dd191a9f4

Tony

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You do need to run it from your desktop, and it is a 10 Meg download,so the advantages of a portable account such as Gmail is negated, but I suppose this could useful on your home or work PC if you have multiple accounts, as many of do.

Tony

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It's not that new. Here's my review:

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/06/windows-live-mail-desktop-review.html

Also something interesting about contextual ads / search results in WLMD:

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/06/live-mail-desktop-wants-to-be-gmail.html

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

nice find TonyB.

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I guess it's not that nice of find:D, o well...

18 years ago #

It's just the new version of Outlook Express (rebranded).

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ahhh, it does look the same. I wonder how i missed it before? It might not be the end-all to email, but I am still intrigued with the concept.

Tony

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

>> It's just the new version of Outlook Express (rebranded).

Not technically. The new version of Outlook Express is "Windows Mail"; whereas WLMD can connect to HTTP servers as well (e.g. Hotmail).

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"• Speedy access to multiple e-mail accounts in one place (even AOL, and Gmail)"

LOL. I love the use of *even*.

18 years ago #

>> Not technically. The new version of Outlook Express is "Windows Mail"; whereas WLMD can connect to HTTP servers as well (e.g. Hotmail).

Windows Live Mail Desktop should replace Outlook Express in XP and Windows Mail in Vista.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

<< WLMD can connect to HTTP servers as well (e.g. Hotmail). >>

Outlook Express 6 can do this anyway.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

""• Speedy access to multiple e-mail accounts in one place (even AOL, and Gmail)"

LOL. I love the use of *even*."

Well, they are writing to a MS audience. :) Tony

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

>> Outlook Express 6 can do this anyway.

Not if you don't have a Hotmail Plus account, because it's blocked. You used to be able to, yes.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!