17 years ago2,429 views

This is just too funny (read without prejudices):
http://niniane.blogspot.com/2006/07/why-i-dont-date-asian-men.html

Jake's View [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I read that yesterday. Love it!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

But that's what personal racial stereotypes are all about... you overgeneralize from a handful of good or bad experiences (e.g. replace "Asian" with "African" in the text and tell me if it's still funny)... Most of us do this to some extent. Of course, the culture surrounding us has some effect on us – weak or strong, sometimes an effect leading into an opposite direction, but still some effect (not that you could wrap up of Asian into one culture! but let's say Niniane meant Chinese, as she indicated). But to me, a German/ European, I suppose most "Asian" friends of Niniane would come off as "American", culture-wise, as Niniane lives in the US. What Niniane seems to miss though, as one commeter indicated, is that as she's of Asian heritage herself, some non-Asian types might simply find her more "unusual" or attractive.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think there is also a tendency for us to be more 'attuned' to the stereotypical flaws of our own cultural background – particularly in the dating world.

You see this sort of thing a lot with countries as well. I bet most people can reel off a large list of the flaws of the place they grew up – doesn't mean they don't like it, just that they've been taught to notice the problems.

As Niniane points out, the list is supposed to be funny – not a condemnation of Asian men. Of course, being of Chinese heritage herself, she can get away with it. It's always been the unwritten role, you can only criticize groups to which you belong – the English complain about England all the time, but you should see what happens when a Frenchman gets in on the act :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!