Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Googe Notebook

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, July 26, 2006
17 years ago3,150 views

I was surprised at the number of responses here in the Top 10 Firefox Extensions thread that listed Google Notebook in their Top 10.

I was very excited about Notebook when it was first announced. I had great expectations for it. I have mixed feelings about it after using it awhile.

My biggest complaint is it seems so slow. Accessing, saving and even dragging notes to rearrange them have an irritating lag, both on my DSL at home and my T1 at the office. I don't expect it to be instantaneous, but it seems so slow.

What have others experienced?

At this point, I am using Scrapbook for web clipping and research, and MS One Note 2007 beta for note taking, lists, and so on. The function I miss in both those applications is the ability to easily sync my data and have it available at any computer like Notebook offers.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't use it that much now. before I used it to transfer links and small bits of info between school and home, now the school has blocked almost the whole of the internet, I can't even get on to it any more at school.

Sunil Nair [PersonRank 9]

17 years ago #

Notebook has a lot of utility, but yes, it is slooooow. No matter, I still use it to note things that interest me or some bits of news or articles that I want to read at leisure.

Also, I wish that instead of using drag n' drop to rearrange, there was a right-click context menu to make it easy. The drag n' drop mostly takes more than than one try most times and when you are in a hurry, it can be, well, trying.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I was also excited about Notebook, but have since not used it at all. Although yesterday I stumbled upon (no not using that service...) a really cool service for saving student notes. It is much more like I wanted Google Notebook to be I think. And I am using it now to record educational notes.

http://stu.dicio.us/

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I use it now & then for saving interesting bits & pieces I saw on the net. It works good enough for my not so great expectations :P

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Can't say I ever used it. I have a temp.txt that does this job for me.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have many instances of Notepad2.

Piotr Konieczny [PersonRank 9]

17 years ago #

In Opera Browser you can easily use built-in note capabilities.

Just select some words on the webpage, rightclick and choose – Copy To Note.

Selected text is then put in a special window (notebook) and hyperlinked to the original page.

It's great when you need to do some research online.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Some great alternative listed here, but most of them still miss the whole "your info is available on any computer" component.

Tony

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!