Google Blogoscoped

Forum

stealing blog content

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, July 26, 2006
18 years ago3,642 views

our friend Amit has an interesting story and experience....

"Don't be surprised if the blogger starts accusing you of copying his content. That actually happened with me. "

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/07/dealing-with-website-plagiarism-when.html

Qustion here..has anyone got a story to share too ?? post back here pls

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Well, Google Blogoscoped, like I assume mostly any blog, is auto-copied all over the place. That happened before everything was licensed under Creative Commons. It still happens without conforming to the CC license. With the CC license, you are allowed to republish all my contents provided the context is non-commercial and you're giving proper credit.
Now that I have a full-feed RSS, of course even more is copied... I had ads within RSS and the ad got copied all over the place too suddenly, and effect I didn't even consider!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

SO Philipp, in essense – by copying the ads within RSS, you too (potentially) maybe losing revenue ?

18 years ago #

No, the ad price in this case stayed the same as it was paid flat, but theoretically the advertiser may like or dislike this effect if seeing the ads in lots of splogs, which could influence the ad price... the advertiser could say "this is worth more to me due to extra exposure" or "this is worth less to me due to exposure in SPAM"...

david sanger [PersonRank 7]

18 years ago #

Copyright theft is rampant in blogs which hot-link images from photography sites. All the bloggers are liable if they hot-link a copyrighted image and if it is registered with the US copyright office then the damages go up. Photographers don't have the time to go after Slovakian pre-teenagers with diaries of their love lives. But a commercial site which hotlinks photos without permission from other sites could get badly surprised one day. Much better to ask permission, get a license or use public domain images.

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Philipp,

Are you aware of this;

googleblog.greatestjournal.com

This guy beats the hell out of the "stealing blog content' contest, please somebody gives him/her a prize!

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

He didn't steal the design, so there's still room for improvement.

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

HAHA, Ionut you're so sarcastic! LOL

18 years ago #

Yeah, I know that site. He was copying content even before the CC license on this blog. But I think this blog looks better :)

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Hey Philip at least he's linking to you.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Google Blogoscoped's Journal – stealing Google Blogoscoped's content from 2004

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

At least you won't need to do backups with all these mirrors around.

18 years ago #

Heh. I actually once retrieved a lost site by accessing the Google Cache through the Google API! About 90% were restored. (The site was this archive:
http://outer-court.com/basic/echo/)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!