Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Window Woking  (View post)

BHR [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, January 20, 2005
19 years ago

Great post – you're describing the exact way I browse (right down to the forgetfulness). I thought I was the only one who did it that way- everyone else I've seen browse is too task focused to do it.

Dennis Pallett [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

Yep, same thing happens to me. Luckily, I use a 'referrer' bookmarklet so when I forget why I opened that page I usually go to the referer, and remember it again.

Nathan Parton [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I tend to do this a lot, but generally use Firefox's tabs and open links in new tabs. I also find I often have 2 or 3 Firefox windows open will looking up different things, with multiple tabs in each.

I wonder if Woking is a reference to the town in Berkshire?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Nathan, yes you are right about the reference "Woking". The idea behind Douglas Adams' and his pal's dictionary "The Meaning of Liff" was they used town-names for ideas which don't have a word yet.

Here are some more entries:
---------------
Aldclune: One who collects ten-year-old telephone directories.

Babworth: Of waiters, never to have a pen.

Ballycumber: One of the six half-read books lying somewhere in your bed.

Clunes: People who just won't go.

Duddo: The most deformed potato in any given collection of potatoes.

Ewelme: The smile bestowed on you by an air hostess.

Fiunary*: The safe place you put something and then forget where it was.

Hoff: To deny indignantly something which is palpably true.
---------------

*Actually I looked up "www.fiunary.com" yesterday and the domain is still up for grabs. I thought it would make a good name for a social software/ storage kind of website.

By the way, nice to see me and my girlfriend are indeed not alone! Also, I'm a Firefox user too.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!