Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google and Firefox

Luke Baker [PersonRank 1]

Monday, January 24, 2005
19 years ago

There has been talk for sometime about Google's involvement with Firefox. Here's some more substantial proof.
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/007366.html

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Hmm. So first he worked for the Mozilla Foundation on Firefox, and now he works for Google Inc on Firefox... I wonder what he and Google are up to.

19 years ago #

For some reason I can't post a comment on his post.

A. Mahoney [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

It sounds like he's a great example of an Open Source Man (kind of a pun off Rennaissance Man). He's employed and still finds time to contribute to The Community.

Bernie [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Perhaps there will be a buyout/merger...

Let's hope that the new Google browser doesn't become as archaic as Googles email (g mail).

Mark [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

The Google Browser rumours have been flying for quite a while now. A lot of things, this included, seem to indicate their is something behind them.

Which is all pretty strange – I don't really understand what Google could bring to a browser that would make a lot of people switch, especially when Firefox is so good and any new functionality can be easily plugged in. It doesn't seem right for Google somehow.

But, Google have wowed me many times before, so perhaps they can do it again with a browser. Should be interesting.

Mark

PS> Not sure what the last poster means about "as archaic as Googles email" – their webmail is certainly the best and most modern around.

19 years ago #

Possibly "archaic" is referring to Gmail's lack of accessibility/ W3C-compliancy? E.g. you can't shift-click subjects to open the email in a new window, nor can you use the back button – agreed other than these accessibility/ usability issues it's very modern DHTML with unprecedented speed.

Owen Rogers [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Google desktop search doesn't currently work with Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!