Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Referral  (View post)

Dave Metzener [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, February 2, 2005
19 years ago

Is it just me in this day of Phisihing scams or does the application seem a little phishy to you?

It's not a secure page yet they are asking for bank account information.

I don't think so...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Dave, Phishing applications work because the URL doesn't show, or it doesn't at first. The domain of Google Referral on the other hand is "google.com" so it's safe. http://www.google.com/referral/

if the domain would be "www.google.something.com" or "google.www.com" or "www.goog1e.com" it wouldn't be safe.

19 years ago #

Safe in a relitave way. Like I said the page is not a secure page. They want me to send bank account information over an unencrypted page.

Then there's the issue of IE bugs that allow people that phish to alter the address bar to look like the correct address. Mind you, I'm not using IE, however, I still don't feel comfortable givig out bank account info over an unsecured page.

The application page for Google's Adsense is secure, why isn't this page.

Sounds like a good idea, but I just don't trust the signup page for now. When they fix that, I'll think about it again.

Seriously, would you send your bank account info to an unsecured webpage?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

You are right. I misunderstood. Now that's indeed very strange of Google not to use HTTPS. I sent them my bank account info earlier today... I didn't notice.

Yes, old IEs could be abused. I think it was the trick with the @ or something.

19 years ago #

"I sent them my bank account info earlier today..."

Brave man! :)

I'm sure they will fix this at some point. Once they do that, I will probably sign up. I always like the idea of making a chance buck or two this way.

It's odd though that they ask for a bank account for the referral but not for getting the money for the adSense that are placed on a web page... :shrug:

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!