Forum

Google Number Wheel  (View post)

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

Friday, July 28, 2006
17 years ago10,616 views

it think it´s 11?

Personman [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

I'm surprised 42 isn't bigger than it is. And what's with 30?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

actually its the google wheel of fortune!!

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think *the* from "the number n" should be removed. Who says "the number 78"? "The number one (1)" is very common.

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Try this "the number 10000000000000000000" no results whe we do approach Googol as 10 follows by 100 zeros.

or try "the number ?"

Amit Agarwal [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Philipp – Where do you get these brilliant ideas from ? Totally impressed.

Jayenkai [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

He's incredibly bored.. ;)

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

yeah honestly, phllip do you have a day job?

17 years ago #

Philipp – Where do you get the time for this project? :-)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ryan
> phllip do you have a day job?

Yeah. I'm a blogger :)

Seriously, I'm full-time blogging since the end of last year, after I quit my day job as web developer. Whenever you don't see a Federated Media ad on top, the status of income is "critical."

Ionut
> I think *the* from "the number n" should be
> removed. Who says "the number 78"?

You are right, I purposely went for something more rare to get a certain subset of numbers. When you search for e.g. "the number 13" you will find mentions like these:
"In the Sikh religion, the number 13 is considered a special number"
"Unreasoned fear of the number 13 is termed triskaidekaphobia"
etc.
In other words, when people use the phrase "the number N" they are often specifically referring to the number's popular meanings. E.g. when I remove "the" I might end up with "page number 13" and so on. Of course, no method is perfect, there's always lots of false positives...

Jake's View [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm seeing 108,000 results on google.com for "the number 23".

17 years ago #

> Whenever you don't see a Federated Media ad on top, the status of income is "critical."

that´s not so bad...Federated Media ad´s are not blocked with my default adblock filters (adblockplus)
http://netrebell.stefan2904.rootzilla.de/page/files/images/google/blogoscoped-adblock-vergleich.JPG

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

that's not a FM ad, it's a home-made ad.

17 years ago #

???!
and where is the fm ad? i can only see this "home made" ad and the google ad(sense/words)

B. [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Web Results 1 – 10 of about 106,000 for "the number 23". (0.07 seconds) ???? My google is not the same as yours!!

17 years ago #

Yes, different datacenters return different page counts...

> and where is the fm ad?

There is none at the moment.

17 years ago #

Ergebnisse 1 – 10 von ungefähr 113.000 für "the number 23". (0,80 Sekunden)
3rd datacenter... ;)

B. [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

different datacenters realities!

B. [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Web Results 1 – 10 of about 48,900 for "the number pi". (0.34 seconds)

Web Results 1 – 10 of about 53 for "the number 3.14159265". (0.35 seconds)

Web Results 1 – 10 of about 93 for "the number pi = 3.14159265". (0.27 seconds)

Sérgio Rebelo [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

The number 23 is so rel evant because it is a very important number for dischordianists. Try to look for fnord or Eris in the same search as the number 23

i cannot write r e l e v a n t ? Why??

Jake's View [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

42 is big because of The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Phillip, how does one get a paying job as a blogger?

I've written for many of my own sites, have a book coming out, freelanced magazine and newspaper articles, and written for shoutwire.com but i've never been able to turn a profit blogging.

I admire you.

ps.. know anybody hiring?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ryan

why dont you try contacting Jermey..he's always looking out for bloggers – hes VP for b5media and they have revenue sharing model for bloggers..

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think you need to be a bit hungry to be a successful blogger.

Employment as a blogger, even for non-corporate blogging, just doesn't produce the same "flavour" of output in my opinion.

Eric [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

23 for Michael Jordan, the world famous basketball legend.

17 years ago #

> i cannot write r e l e v a n t ? Why??

For some reason spammers abused the word "levan" so it was blocked... it's now unblocked.

> Phillip, how does one get a paying job as a blogger?

So far, I couldn't live solely from this blog. I was living on a mixture of AdSense revenues from other sites I have, ad revenues from Federated Media for this blog, ads I'm organizing myself every now and then plus a little bit of consulting every few months, plus savings from my last job. However, things look good and I might be able to live from FM in the future. We'll see... in around a year I know more I guess.
But it also depends on the costs of living in your country. Unfortunately Germany's not the cheapest place in the world when it comes to rent and food. When you live in e.g. Malaysia, AdSense revenues might be more realistic to live on.

If you want to apply with Federated Media, you can go here, tho you need to have an existing blog:
http://www.federatedmedia.net

rana [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Hi,
   It's Interesting

Flint [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

<off-topic>

https://www.google.com/gds ??

Anybody have any idea what this is ?

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]gds: maby the file, that is includet over the searchbar...?

Mischa [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Doesn't gds stand for Google Desktop Search?

17 years ago #

this links in google desktop??

btw.
http://netrebell.stefan2904.rootzilla.de/page/files/images/google/google-gds-vergleich.JPG

Dr. Mohamed Taher [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

How do we build this wheel? Let me know. I have cited you at my blog: http://akbani.blogspot.com/2006/07/wheels-for-google-google-on-wheels.html#links

Good work, keep up.
Best, Mohamed Taher

17 years ago #

> How do we build this wheel?

I queried Google for the page count of the numbers 1-100 using the Google Web API (with PHP5), then exported this to CSV (Comma Separated Values), opened with Excel, and created diagrams.

zmarties [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Amit Agarwal has created what he calls an alphabet wheel influenced by this at

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/07/google-alphabets-wheel-english.html

A very strange use of the word alphabet to mean "letter of the alphabet", and seemingly random ordering of the slices of the pie, but perhaps of some passing interest.

Anna Sebestyén [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Hm, I started to check out why the number 23. Conclusion: first turn to the wise collection of Wikipedia. :)
Here comes some excerpts from the big book that may shed light on the relative popularity of 23.
To start with, quoting Jim Carrey:
(People Magazine, April 17, 2006, page 142, is quoted as saying: "I've [been fixated on] the number 23 for years. It's everywhere. Each parent passes on 23 chromosomes; Earth's axis is at a 23° angle. Psalm 23 is my mantra..."
Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes.
Psalm 23 ("The Lord is my shepherd...") is possibly the most quoted and best known psalm.
Michael Jordan's jersey number,
David Beckham's squad number at Real Madrid football (soccer) club, inspired by the aforementioned Jordan.
The number of people (16 females, 7 males) Neo was to select in order to refound Zion in The Matrix Reloaded
The standard TCP/IP port number for Telnet connections
Not in Wikipedia yet, but I guess the film titled The Number 23 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481369/) will keep increasing the hits.
for 23 addicts:
When mathematician John Forbes Nash suffered from schizophrenic delusions, he said that Life Magazine had run a cover story of him disguised as Pope John XXIII, as his name was John and his favorite prime number was 23. Nash published a total of 23 scientific articles
The smallest group of people in which there is more than a 50% chance that 2 people will share the same birthday (day and month, not year)

Luke Braithwaite [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Personman
> And what's with 30?

Just a thought, but maybe since buses are frequentlly refered to as "the number x" http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/real_story/5159296.stm

17 years ago #

23 has huge importance to conspiracy theorists. Check the (nice) German movie on hackers for the KGB, based on real events: "23":
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005MPOC/

Also google for [illuminati 23] :)

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I would have the primes in a different color to see how popular they are.

S.Karthikeyan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

> How do we build this wheel?

Still I am not getting it from you explanation. Is it equivalent as searching for 23 ?

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Elias Actually it's 1 (not 10) followed by 100 zeros,

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hs=R0C&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000&btnG=Search

Mark [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

What about really small number of hits, ie I typed in phrase "freddy was teaching me" and all I can see is single web page, even though Google says there are 16 hits in total. Where are the remaining 15?

17 years ago #

Your search – "freddy was teaching me" – did not match any documents.

Mark [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Try http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=%22freddy+was+teaching+me%22&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

17 years ago #

the same.

Mark [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Something wrong with your preferences or browser, here what I got:

Web Results 1 – 1 of about 16 for "freddy was teaching me". (0.09 seconds)

Life of Allison: April 2005
Freddy was teaching me how an airplane can fly! posted by Allison's Mommy @ Monday , April 25 , 2005 0 comments. We also played with some blocks . ...
lifeofallison.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_lifeofallison_archive.html – 198k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

17 years ago #

its ´cause i´m on an other google dataindex (other datacenter)... give me the ip of your google.com (ping www.google.com)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!