Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Personal Info Search?

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, August 1, 2006
17 years ago5,880 views

something that's been floating around in my mind for a while is a "personal information search" that would search everything Google has on you. I think it should divide search into tiers:

TIer 1: email, chat logs, calendar events, documents, notebook notes, picasa web albums captions, orkut PMs, writely docs, spreadsheets, desktop gadgets

Ex: If you make a list of stuff you need to buy, do you use gmail and save a draft, google desktop's scratch pad, google notebook, google spreadsheets, or writely? now it won't matter – you can find it no matter what, and see ads on how you can get the stuff.
-----
Tier 2: feeds, search history, google desktop history, your friends' (public/shared) calendars, notebooks, picasa web album captions, orkut groups, books you've bought with amazon that are also on book search – lots of possibilities for integration here.

Ex: you know you've seen a really good guacamole recipie, but did you read it in a cookbook, on someone elses notebook, or on a recipie orkut group? You could see ads for what store sells the ingredients you need or a link to buy the supplies from (recently launched) Amazon Grocery
-----
Tier 3: Personalized search based on Tier 1 items (going beyond current personalized search by using your documents to determine what you like to read and what you're more likely to be looking for in case of ambiguity (saturn: planet or car?) and news sources you like (political preferences) and images (which do you prefer? landscapes? cityscapes? portraits? .gif or .png? how big? how clear?) and of course advertising)

Ex: you're a college student looking for information on Stanford and Palo Alto. You could search and get pictures of the university and city, links to thier undergraduate admissions page, a list of popular places to eat, and advertisements for housing from Google base and school supplies from Adsense.
-----
Tier 4: Unpersonalized search (standard web search)

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

great idea. make visible what google knows about oneself....
but if someone gets your account data out [maby it happens anytime] this person can find out all about you (which is on your google account)...
big brother is watching!

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google as a matter knows more about you than you do about yourself.

17 years ago #

yes? for example?

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I live in a very touristic city with all tourists crawling around the streets. They constantly take pictures & I'm sure I'm on lots of them. I would like to do a search on the web for every picture or tourist movie I'm on...

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]stefan

For Example :

The Web pages you visit : Web Accelerator, Toolbar and Safebrowsing

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

hmm, that's quite a thought. I wonder if the CIA could use (does use?) something like that. creepy thought.

17 years ago #

they (cia and co) use fe. myspace for this things...

[put at-character here]Sohil
i know the most webpages i visit, and i donĀ“t use toolbar and co.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Caleb : thats how they id'ed the london bombers ..off the live cameras :)-

likewise the DHS has every major port covered with CTV and COLD

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google might be afraid to scare people... with this search, suddenly every user would realize how transparent they've become in the eyes of Google!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

(... and the eyes of the gov't, who can subpoena Google for the user data ...)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

actaully No Philipp-- why would anyone be afraid ?? The only reason is the fear of doing something wrong....

I for one would like the personal history search concept and it already exists to some degree under "personsal search history" (if that is turned on).. this helps me to see what the heck I have been doing on google ..forgot about the .gov and other regulations!! Who the heck cares – they can take all my data and shove it where the sun does not shine!!

ok 'nuff of rant.. back to Caleb's question . he has a valid point on tier1-tier3 level search..what he described is the logical nTier structure that currently exists within the SoA paradigm..personal search seems the next logical step in Search strategies... so why not ??

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

oh btw, findory.com (Greg Linden) is doing some kewl works already.. play in that box for some time and see the results.. its kinda different!! :)-

His blog is well worth trolling ..!!

http://glinden.blogspot.com/

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Let's face it, the internet goes both ways (obvious statement, I know). Not only can you look up the what the planet surface on Jupiter is but you can also look up how to build a bomb. For those who want to remain private with what they're doing while online, I suggest doing a Google search for privacy tools and taking that route. Between cookies and creative tracking ads, your movement online is recorded (another obvious statement :) For me, I put my trust in Google that they're not going to give out my info on the fly, but rather follow the due structure of the law of the land. If that means that a court orders them to give up my, so be it. If your info is stored on anywhere but your own computer, it is able to be accessed in some sort of fashion. Even your personal computer my not be a safe haven if the court allows the jusdical system to exam it for evidence of a crime. For those who are truely paranoid, use a bootable OS and a program like TOR and rest easy :D

Chris [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I really don't like the privacy implications of having all of that information in one place.

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I am going to go ahead and echo what others have already said. Its one thing for Google to collect information to tailor services for us and to make the advertising more efficient. Once we see how much information they have managed to compile about us, it could be a huge turn-off. I don't want to search my personal info for the name of the girl I went out with two years ago. Freaks me out.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!