Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Colbert Blocked on Wikipedia  (View post)

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, August 2, 2006
17 years ago4,702 views

I saw that episode, and it was really funny. "Just get the majority of people to believe it and it's true!" :)

AListReview.com [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It was funny – and just showed how dangerous believing in Wikipedia entries can be. He was also making a comment on the political state of "truthiness" as well, as the current administration feels free to change the truth as it sees fit.

I think the blocking of Colbert's account is a joke, evidenced by Tawker's demands to be on the show.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The thing about Wikipedia is that while theoretically there's no way it should work, it does. I can only recall coming across two errors on Wikipedia and they were minor.

Part of the reason it works is that the only place errors will remain uncorrected is on pages that hardly anyone looks at, and those errors matter much less.

I think it's pointless to say that Wikipedia is innacurate because anyone can edit it. Wikipedia has the potential to be innacurate but generally isn't, because anyone can fix it.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yeah, this is an excellent example of how resilient wikipedia is – even though an organized attempt at vandalsim was started on a popular show, the wikipedia community was able to revert the edits and ban Colbert for vandalism. They even reversed edits on elephant *related* pages, as well as Colbert's page and the George Washington page.

Taiwanese Hank [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Vandal behavior should be banned, even from someone as willing to expose the Emperior's nakeness as Colbert.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!