Google Blogoscoped

Forum

AOL beats Google to the punch

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

Friday, August 4, 2006
17 years ago3,060 views

GDrive? Try XDrive.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/services/2006-08-03-aol-free-storage_x.htm?csp=34

Free or not, it's AOL which means I won't use it.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Not sure , why the article sez tha AOL and other are beating google!!

take for instance my free zones

Gmail = 2GB
Piscasa = 250MB
CL2 = 250MB
Pages = 1 MB (?)

what else ? me is too tried to think.. If I cluster all the services of google and add storge space..they still kick butt .. but then thats my opinion only.. :)-

gotto sleep.. catcha on the other side!!

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

/pd
100 invites for Gmail = 100 * 2750 MB

Ridwan [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I don't get it, Google simply rocks and BTW I am not going use AOL even if they give me 'Infinity'. But I will always use Google, even if it is an online storage of 100 MB.

Anyways but I think Google should do something fast, because many user might not wait for Google. They might start using AOL's drive.

This is to all 'Google Addicts', please wait for GDrive... ;)

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google should get GDrive out quickly, at least before XDrive and LiveDrive.

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I would rather Gdrive come out later and be more robust than to rush it. It's that rush mentallity that plagued windows operating systems for years.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

here in Israel, we also have an email service that provides 5 GB of storage. but the interface is pretty lame and they dont really have a chance as long as Google Israel is around..

thats why i dont think AOL beats Google.. cause who really uses all the storage? (http://blogoscoped.com/forum/59736.html)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< thats why i dont think AOL beats Google.. cause who really uses all the storage? >>

Yeah, but we're not talking about email here – we're talking about file storage. I'd probably be able to use 5GB of private storage to backup some of my photos, websites, source files, etc. providing it had an easy to use drag and drop interface / drive mapping / FTP access so that I could easily retrieve my files if I needed to.

I might even use it as a central repositry for my website's development source files to stop me keeping a copy at home and at work – which sometimes get out of sync end up with me overwriting newer files with older ones by accident!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

ok corsin ....but good point ..!!

tony, yes I too would like a central repositry and am looking forward to it. As Nate sez, its better to wait until they have a robust product offering..

is anyone e willing to pay for such a prodcut ?? and if so how much would you be willing pay for a 100GB ..

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'd use GDrive to back up my iPod. But even with DSL, how long would it take to upload, let me check, 3.43 GB worth of tunes? Foreverrrrrrrrrrrr.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

what about back up my player? Archos AV740?. it contains 40(!) GB. and im using 35 GB. so i guess that your problem is ' better '.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!