Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Video Layout Experiments  (View post)

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, August 5, 2006
17 years ago7,631 views

In the new layout video size is sooooo small :(

Video size that adopts itself to the size of your screen was one of Google Video best futures. It would be very stupid to remove it.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Like the new layout, but where did the blue "share" button go?

<<In the new layout video size is sooooo small>>
You could still put it full screen if you wanted to.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Oh I don't know if any one else has mentioned it but you can only get the Charlie Rose programs on Free Today now.

. [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

You meant YouTube like?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thanks. Changed YouTuke to YouTube.

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Nice. I love the new layout. There's nothing like watching 320x240 somewhere close to 320x240 size vice stretched double or triple that. It also feels a lot less cluttered now.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This feels more social, because of the extra space for comments.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Is this still working? My laptop dosn't show me the link for the new design, even after i do the javascript thing. I got it to work on my PC earlier so its not a regional thing.

rollmops [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I can't see one of the most important community-like features, like who is linking to that file and how much hits it got already.

James Bradbury [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

On the old layout, you could still see thumbnails if you clicked details on the right.

QualityCommission [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Come back when they solve the video quality.

Seen it, been there, got the T-shirt.

We are living in the broadband age, yet portals like these still think they can catch users by altering the lay-out of a presentation?
When will they ever learn, the web-audience is waiting for quality, not grainy, foggy stamp-sized clips.

HD would be an option, but i think Google is going for a new skin and 'same old bad quality' instead and meanwhile the audience is already going away, one by one...... fast.

me [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

looks great

FoundThisOn.com [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I don't like the new layout as the it makes the main video very small and a big hole to the right.

User9472a7641 [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I think it's a step back cuz the video size is too small and the thumbnails on the bottom are a waste of space and kind of distracting. I liked being able to click details before to see the thumbnails _if I chose to_.

otis [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Poor quality picture, why are they still thinking we are at happy hour and like fuzzy pictures they deserve to lose market share.

Step [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I thought Google Video did have an option to see thumbnails from various parts of the video. I'm sure, because that used to be my default setting...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It was part of Google's caption search service a while ago, but was it ever part of regular videos?

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yeah i think it has always been there philipp. it's under the details tab

Anonymous [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

That video is hilarious!

Jordan Weiner [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Where does one get information like this? Do you just guess that this link "javascript:setCookie('np','old');window.location.reload();" will change the layout? Share with us your knowledge.

Aj Collins [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

For some reason I can't get this to work.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

heres what youll need to do..
choose a video from Google Video.. now on the right side of the screen youll get this yellow thing:
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/3661/googlevideonewlayoutjp1.jpg

click it.. and youre all done :)

Aj Collins [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I did what the post said. It didn't show anything. ^^ That still doesn't help me.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

then contact Google Video:
video-support[put at-character here]google.com

good luck.. and tell me how it went.. :)

Stephen Downes [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I don't like it. A major reason I use Google video is the big screen. After all, people go to a video site for the videos, not the extra stuff...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!