Google Blogoscoped

Forum

The Perfect Homepage

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

Friday, August 11, 2006
17 years ago3,181 views

I would like, with the help of others, would like to come with with a perfect design for Google's homepage. Firstly, there should be some drafting out done on photoshop etc (see below), to get some ideas ready.

In the ideas, think about: user experience, task-oriented design, colour scheme, download size...

Then, once we have a few ideas, we can start coding!

Here's my first entry:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2425/newhomepagehe2.jpg

I've thought about:
- using Google's current colours (taken from Calendar)
- introducing file storage
- freshening up the layout

Can anyone improve upon that? Even written ideas would be good, so I can draw them up.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Keep in mind that a layout that's too cool & fresh might increase the identification barrier. It might not be as approachable because it's too elite! People identify with the Google logo not because it's the greatest design, but 'cause it looks so darn amateurish :)

That being said I like your design...

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hmm. I love the concept, but for some reason I feel it's not centered, but then again that might all be fixed in the final version.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I know what you're saying Phillipp, perhaps the colours need toning down.

Sohil, yes, you're right its not centred. Perhaps i'll try doing that.

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

why dont you place a customized google search and im feeling lucky button to match the theme instead of old windows button..........

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

create file? what will that do?

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

nice one..
you forgot some stuff though such as :

Advertising Programs – Business Solutions – About Google

and the rights of course:
©2006 Google

-TD- [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Here is my design, well mainly just for the search results page, but still:

http://lh4.google.com/thomasdavies/RN3u9-ErABI/AAAAAAAAAEg/fjQoq43QZag/C%3A%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CMark%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Pictures%5CGoogle.JPG

I will tell you about some of the features:

Design: Based on the GMail / Google Calendar UI.

Personal: Introduces search results from your Google Drive, such as email, Writely files, and Picasa Web Albums.

Stars: Automatic bookmarking feature.

Delete: Allows you to delete a result which you would rather not see in future.

Note This: Adds the search result to your Google Notebook for further reference.

Chat: Allows you to discuss the results of the search with your GMail / Google Talk contacts. Ideal for research and academic purposes.

Google Drive: Shows the status of your Google Drive. Informing you about how much space you have left.

Well that is it, what do you think about the design?

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

broken link, td

-TD- [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

// Stefan

Ok sorry about that. You can get it here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/thomasdavies/Google/photo?authkey=PFNycsmvrIafb2ORfm7cUhzukCo#4962385112834179090

17 years ago #

i think your screenshot would be better for a "Personalized Home"-like site!
for a mainpage there is, i think, to much content...

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

-TD- This would be a great interface for a united Google service, but I agree with Stefan that it's too featured for the simple homepage...

Maybe we should make a little contest here between Mambo, Stefan & others in the designing the homepage? Then we could vote after a while for the best design!

-TD- [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Thanks for the replys. Yeah, I know what you mean by it being too much, but when all Google applications get the same UI, then maybe allowing this as a search option could be good for power users.

17 years ago #

...as an optional page (like Personalized Home one is)... but not as mainpage (index)!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!