Google Blogoscoped

Forum

What Firefox 2.0 Lacks

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, August 12, 2006
17 years ago2,219 views

So far, the features in Firefox 2 are completely underwhelming. Here is what I think they should be thinking about (if they have any time to change it, that is):

- Selectable RSS reader (either Live Bookmarks, IG, or Google Reader etc.)

- Bookmark tags, instead of folders, to be uploaded to Google Bookmarks, Live Favorites or Delicious). Have a smart tag called "toolbar" for the Bookmarks toolbar. Tags would also eliminate the need for keywords in bookmarks.

- "Page contents" scroll navigation (my own idea) – have 'next section' and 'previous section' arrows below the window's scrollbar to go to the next anchor point, or perhaps page heading. Similar to Microsoft Word.

- Option for "home" link not to open up all starting pages. That is really, really annoying. Extra homepages should be renamed to "Extra Starting Pages".

- Intergrated Google Toolbar. This doesnt need to be an extension. Although, that would be evil!

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

1. It's already in Firefox 2. Have you even tried it ?
2. Stated for Firefox 3 (Places)

Google Toolbar : Ya right, like that would ever happen

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I want bugfixes most of all (select/ copy/ paste bug, find in textarea bug). Also, more options would be nice. E.g. I want to customize the context menu without scripting. Possibly, better handling of those eternal loops in Gmail that crash Firefox. If Google can't fix it, maybe Firefox can add defense against scripts which block the browser.

The page contents feature might be nice. Hit Ctrl + Something, and you see a linked Table of Contents. I think the W3C browser, Amaya, has a feature like this. Of course, it only works on pages with semantic (h 1, h2) markup...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!