Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Flickr or Picasa ?

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, August 16, 2006
17 years ago2,563 views

Based on the recent developments in Picasa and some sneak preview, which service is better you think ?

Picasa or Flickr ?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Both.

Picasa – for the desktop
Flickr – for the web

You can use them together. Here's an interesting idea: http://www.digitalmediaminute.com/article/1299/gmail-picasa-and-flickr

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Picasa is better. You have a desktop app to upload pics n to work with it easily and sooner or later their will be greater integration with other g apps

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Flickr has a nice community, and it is fun to browse public albums. There are a lot of great features with Flickr.

I do my sharing and storage with Picasa Web Albums. I love the integration with Picasa Desktop, and the people I share with find the interface much cleaner and easier to use. Though I occasionally upload something to Flickr, Picasa just feels right to me.

I still want Picasa to add Passwords and searching by Tags. It might be useful to order prints from Web Albums for some viewers that are not comfortable downloading and printing or uploading photos to a print sight themselves. I would also like to see an option to sync between your desktop and Web Album

It might be nice to open pictures up to the public in Picasa, but then you might as well use Flickr.
Tony

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'll restrict my comment to Picasa Web Albums.

I like the full-size approach by Picasa. Flickr images are too slow & small in default view. But the real value of Flickr is its community and the pictures that have been uploaded and tagged so far, including the ones with Creative Commons licenses. The value of Picasa Web Albums for searching photos is 0 right now.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!