Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Millions Use Google Talk?

or [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, August 17, 2006
17 years ago2,473 views

I am surprised that no one have noticed this statement from Google:
"Millions of you use Google Talk every day to connect with friends, family, and colleagues via chat and calls" (http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/08/more-ways-to-connect-and-share-with.html)

That claim contradicts the recent comscore numbers that only 44,000 are actively using Google Talk.

Is Google's statement just PR speak, or are the amount of people using Gtalk actually in the millions?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

But NYT Probably didn't count the people who use it from Gmail.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

44000 only in USA ?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

only in USA, only using GTalk Windows client and only active users

there are users in Gmail, Blackberries, Nokia N70 + other IM (gaim, trillian) + meebo + others

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i want everyone to switch from yahoo and msn messenger and stay with gtalk ? Will that that be possible in future ?

or [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

So the consensus here so far is that millions actively use Gtalk worldwide through various devices and applications.

The Gtalk team is following a platform strategy, having people connect through Gtalk through any device or application they use. They don't seem to be interested in building a traditional IM, but rather a communication platform.

Another interesting thing about this is that it may be hard to figure out the growing popularity of Gtalk through third party apps and devices, possibly giving it a competitive advantage.

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

We all love Google. And obviously love its GTalk. I was wondering if we could use an IM address of Google account so that we all in this forum can keep in touch.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!