Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Digg Adds Video Thumbnails  (View post)

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, August 17, 2006
17 years ago3,971 views

Ya I spotted this yesterday. I thought it was there for a while.

Scott Whigham (LearnSqlServer.com) [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

"Why don’t they go ahead and embed the full video right on the Digg article page?"

Are you kidding me or being sarcastic? I can't tell. You can't be serious.

Jake's View [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I noticed it when I submitted my first (and only) digg story. http://digg.com/hardware/New_Dell_Ad

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Scott, I think he means to have the video embedded on the page for the specific digg story, not the main page itself. I took it the wrong way the first time I read it and figured it must be sarcastic :)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yup, that's what I meant.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Digg MUST send traffic to the original site. What if they copy the article content and include it next to the link?

17 years ago #

> Digg MUST send traffic to the original site.

Not necessarily... the video sites like YouTube and Google Video actively ask users to embed/ share their videos. I suppose the future for them is to simply serve an ad before or after the actual video. This way they don't care if you send the visitor or not. But of course, we don't know what's their strategy and likes and dislikes.

> What if they copy the article content and include it next to the link?

But they're only allowed to publish fair use snippets of articles, unless the copyright allows more (e.g. Creative Commons)...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Correct, but I think it's a good idea to treat the content in the same manner.

>>Not necessarily... the video sites like YouTube and Google Video actively ask users to embed/ share their videos.

True, but when they embed the video, they add some text / comments (context). Digg's descriptions are too small.

17 years ago #

> Correct, but I think it's a good idea to treat the
> content in the same manner.

Yeah, you're right... or else people would be "trained" to click on the article detail page to get to the content, even though this would only work in the video section...

> True, but when they embed the video, they
> add some text / comments (context).

Not sure... Google Video doesn't seem to do this when you get their Embed code.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!