Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Lessons From the Death of a Web 2.0 Startup  (View post)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, August 17, 2006
17 years ago4,215 views

Here we go again.

There are many startups that did / do better than Google: youtube, flickr, del.icio.us, so I don't think they should be afraid of the behemoth. If they're lucky they'll be bought by Google. If not, they'll find a buyer from the competition.

Google is not Microsoft: Google promotes open source, options, free solutions, thinks about the users.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

A superior product will not always triumph. Google has a lot of name recognition and buzz. Other options won't get near the coverage or interest.

I know there are several calendar apps out there. I have never bothered dealing with them as Google integrates nicely with my Google account info, has a history of updates, and works well enough for me. I also know who I am dealing with.

Google is not all good, and Microsoft is not all bad. Ed Bott makes some interesting observations on this very topic today:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=117

TonyB

17 years ago #

Very bad article from ZDNet.

"Google's toolbar lets you search anywhere you want, as long as it's Google."

He probably never heard about the custom buttons. You can also create a search source from every search box.

xfer [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I wonder how many 'burning the midnight oil' nights there was to ultimately put thier site and Intellectual Property up for sale.

That's the thing with Google – they have a small army, which they provide many reasons for engineers to put in the extra couple hours – am with reasons I mean breakfast – lunch – and dinner -

In theory, you never have to leave that place – shower at the gym, eat at the mess hall, sleep in the various relaxation zones

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

-> Very bad article from ZDNet.

->"Google's toolbar lets you search anywhere you want, as long as it's ->Google."
->He probably never heard about the custom buttons. You can also create ->a search source from every search box.

I think the author has a point. The MS Live toolbar makes it very easy to change search engines just by clicking on a drop down right next to the search box. There is no easy way to change the search engine with the Google Toolbar. I just poked through the options on my Google Toolbar for Firefox, and don't even see a way to change the search engine now that I am looking for it.

TonyB

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think the difference with google is that they have the core infrastucture in place and then the can keep throwing in service after service after service.. some will fail , others will gain traction and thereby they gain wealth in more userbase and thus more adwords space.

when they find something that they can layer onto their existing applications and services, they will buy . Its as simple as that!!

xfer [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]tonyb

it may be me – but I wouldn;t see the point of changing the default search engine in Google – and this isnt because 'its the best' – but its the reason you downloaded and installed the thing – isnt it?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

TonyB : not sure if this scrap may clarify the case

http://slash.pd.googlepages.com/g1.png

17 years ago #

In the IE version it's easy to add search engines. Maybe they'll change that in FF in the next release. But in FF you already have a search box. Why would you need another one?

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

At /pd, your screenshot shows the option to set Google as your default search. I don't see any other options listed. If you click the drop down in MS Live Toolbar I see google and MS Live Search listed, as well as the option to search for other providers.

I'm not arguing that I want to change from Googe Search. I want Google and that's why I installed it.

The point of the ZDnet blog is in several cases, MS is being more open to and making it easier to find alternatives then Google.

xfer [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I havent toyed with it at all – but I think that option in the GToolbar is for setting your browser default – not the toolbar default – which is Google all the way --

who knows

17 years ago #

<< MS is being more open to and making it easier to find alternatives then Google.

Google Toolbar works on IE and FF.
Live Toolbar works only on IE.

On IE:
Google Toolbar lets you add any number of search engines you want.
Live Toolbar lets you swith MSN search with another search engine, but you have type the address manually.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

->Google Toolbar works on IE and FF.
->Live Toolbar works only on IE.

True, but I am thinking of the typical user. They are typicall going to use IE unless they have people around like us that help them maintain their computers.

->On IE:
->Google Toolbar lets you add any number of search engines you want.
->Live Toolbar lets you swith MSN search with another search engine, but ->you have type the address manually

I agree, but again, the typical user is not going to think of looking for other search engines.

The live Toolbar lets you choose other search engines, as well as even suggesting options to you. It lets you make choose another search engine and make it your default, right in your Live Toolbar. It's point and click.

Google does not suggest any other search engine, and will not let you make another search engine default in their toolbar.

Tony

17 years ago #

<< Google does not suggest any other search engine, and will not let you make another search engine default in their toolbar.

Really?
http://www.google.com/tools/toolbar/buttons/gallery?keyword=Search&hl=en

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

-> Really?
->google.com/tools/toolbar/butto ...

I'm not saying it can't be done in Google, but you have to go looking for it. How did you get to that page? I can't check now, but I don't think it says "find other search providers". It just says something like find other options, buttons, features or something like that.

The Live Toolbar specifically mentions other browsers, right in the toolbar.

Tony

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Tony, Not all Firefox users are huge Computer Geeks. Stop by Mozillazine Forums and see the questions asked.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's a shame no one is buying Kiko.

17 years ago #

<< I'm not saying it can't be done in Google, but you have to go looking for it. How did you get to that page? I can't check now, but I don't think it says "find other search providers".

It says "add search type" and it's in the list of search sources (click on the arrow from the search box).

I think your arguments are unconvincing.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

-> It says "add search type" and it's in the list of search sources (click on the arrow from the search box).

I don't see the "add search type" anywhere in my Google Toolbar on Firefox. The arrow in the search box shows me my search history. The arrow nex to the "G" after the search box has options like search Google Groups, News and so on, but nothing about adding search types.

Now that I look, I do see what you are saying in the Google Toolbar for IE.

Tony

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!