Google Blogoscoped

Forum

a personnalized page google should buy

Rod [PersonRank 0]

Tuesday, August 22, 2006
17 years ago3,653 views

Hi,
i happened to land on this page http://www.netvibes.com/...
It's a kind of personnalized page like the google personnlized home page...
I'm a google fan but i'm sad to recon that netvibe's feels so much user friendly than Google's.. That's why i'm recommending they buy it so they stay on top...
What's your feedback on this?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Maybe they can learn from it (be "inspired" by features Netvibes has), but buy it? They seem to have all the technical skills to pull off their own personalized homepage, as Adam Sah's team showed...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Netvibes >> Google's IG

(>> = much better)

It looks better, you can create more pages, save them, share them. And now you can use Meebo too.

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

the interface is very clean. i think, this will be a good inspiration for google, but to buy them? i donĀ“t think so.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The interface is way cleaner and more polished. You can type your title. They have some nice modules (I think they have a Writely module too).

Would Google really buy this, I mean it's just a homepage (with millions in Angel Investing)

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Philipp's right. They wouldn't buy it because they can already do it themselves. They bought Neven Vision most likely because they didnt know how to do image recognition; they bought Pyra Labs because they struggled to create an online word processor; they bought Blogger because its so damn good (which goes against my point!); they bought Dodgeball because thats something pretty new.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Correct me if I am wrong by Pyra Labs is Blogger no?

http://www.pyra.com/

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

U're right, sam

BTW, I think Google "steal" the idea of "IG" from Netvibes.

Heebie Sudoku [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

This is great, but not dissimilar from My Yahoo!, My MSN or Windows Live's attempt, but goes slightly further than them. I love it!

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Windows Live is neat, except it takes forever to load (even on Broadband)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"they bought Dodgeball " ?? yes, thats still a strange buy!!

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

and what do you think of the acquisition of Measure Map?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

To be integrated into Analytics. Measure Map is cool.

Ken Kuhl [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

Netvibes IS tremendous. It is my homepage. Unlike most web tools I use, I'm not constantly wishing it had this or that feature.... it's almost (gasp) perfect (at least for me).

Netvibes recently received US$15 million in funding:
http://www.e-consultancy.com/news-blog/361538/netvibes-gets-new-cash-injection.html

They are a Paris, France based venture.

Google does not need to acquire everything out there that is cool. I'm sure some people prefer the Google IG. Let them develop independently.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think they bought Blogger for the community/ the blogs already created with it, even more than the technology. I can almost imagine porting the old system to Google's platform was as complicated as rewriting it from scratch would've been...

Rod [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Thanx for the comments!
I agree wit hthe remark about buying, but in this business what's the assets you buy? It's not brick and mortar for sure!
Community as Philipp writes, audience, technology when you don't have it, but also people..
For sure they have the talent and technical skills at Google to improove IG!
But i they buy the human talents behind Netvibes it doe's no harm, it can gain time, don't you agree?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

maybe they should also think of

http://www.webwag.com/

.. a new personalized start page set to be released at the end of this month

catch22 :0 developed by ex-Google France chief Franck Poisson

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!