Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Slightly different SERP experiment

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, August 24, 2006
17 years ago2,829 views

Before you start "duping" me, I know there's a very similar SERP design out there somewhere, but this one is slightly different. Notice the light beige banners, and more noticably, two menus for different search types.

At the top, there's Froogle, Groups etc... then there's a few more at the bottom. At first, it seems kind of pointless (almost a mistake), but it saves people scrolling to the top, I guess.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8851/googleserpcs1.jpg

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

hey it's pretty cool :)
Note that the "PR-like" bars are now blue, before they were green.

can you give us your cookies of Google?, in order to reproduce that interface.

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

erm, are this google tests or "just" a (very good) idea from you?

(i also think, in a sidebar like this there is enought space for many other google serivces)

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes, it's a Google test.

I've got my cookies... but I don't think it's a very good idea to make them public....unless you can convince me otherwise.

Heebie Sudoku [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

[Moved from: "New Search Results Page?"]

Hi guys, I think I might've spotted a new Google layout experiment. The screenshot's at

http:// www.heebie.co.uk/screen.png

The way I see it, Google are anxious to spice up their results page, but have got to keep it clean as that's one of their winning points – clear, simple layouts.

(Oh, and sorry for the seemingly "advertisement" of a sreenshot, it's just what I happened to be searching for at the time and coudn't reproduce the layout again)

[Unlinked the URL because you need to copy and paste as that server doesn't allow image hot linking – Tony]

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[Moved from: "New Search Results Page?"]

Can u provide us another screen shot, the current one redirects to 100webspace.com

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Threads merged.

Heebie: It looks like this is the same experiment Mambo spotted.

Sohil: Just copy and paste the URL into a new browser to see the screenshot.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

How long is Google gonna play around with that left-hand navigation?
Can't say I like it much, though... I like simple results, and this isn't simple enough.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't really see the need to have it on the left, really.

And what would happen with Google News navigation? That's got to be on the top if the topics are still going to be on the left.

The could perhaps have the menu floating, so it stays in the same position when you scroll down. That may involve too much JS though.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!