Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Orkut + GTalk = Orkut^2

-TD- [PersonRank 4]

Saturday, August 26, 2006
17 years ago3,836 views

'Mountain View Internet giant Google – the one company we're more obsessed with here than Apple – said it's expanding its Google Talk service to more of its own products. It will start by linking Google Talk to its Orkut social-networking site, and is considering linking the Internet phone and instant-messaging service to its online word processor and spreadsheet. Google Talk lags far behind similar offerings from Yahoo, AOL and Microsoft.'

Source: http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/columnists/business_update/15352651.htm
Via: http://insideorkut.blogspot.com/2006/08/is-google-adding-gtalk-inside-orkut.html

Well that would be very nice to see, and then maybe even a revamped Orkut service.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This is not true. Show me a link where they say something about Orkut.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I read a news this morning and it says something like you can chat with Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger in the next version of GTalk.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Not true either. You can do this right know with Jabber transports. Ludwik can explain better.

-TD- [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Its a rumour article Ionut. And the concept makes sense. eBay and Skype can work, and IM is a major force on teh net. So more exposure on Google projects means more people will start using it.

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]-td- the article does make some bold claims without any backup material. It's fine to spreculate, but it needs to be disclaimered (not you td, the article writer)

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think I read somewhere that GTalk will let you communicate with space aliens, as long as they have a Google account. :)

TonyB

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google did say they'll try to integrate GTalk with more products.

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Integration with orkut would be logical. But orkut needs much more. I´m just not sure whether Google has an interest to be very active in social networking.

Darnell Clayton [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Actually, this may be true.

Many users have requested an Orkut chat program within the system, and Orkut seems to be considering it as they have listed it as a feature users can request (see link below, plus you may need to be logged into Orkut).

http://help.orkut.com/support/bin/request.py?page=troubleshooter.cs&problem=feature&contact_type=feature&contact_type=feature&submit=Continue

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

orkut is dead space.. Google is at risk with that folio. Why will they want to invest in that community ?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

ahem, have you seen myspace? I think google can clearly see the potential of social networking

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!