Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Spam Fashions  (View post)

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, August 29, 2006
17 years ago5,043 views

I got one of these today and reported it as spam. It had a really odd subject line of ".Set" which hinted to me that this was crap :D

Razvan Antonescu [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

I only got nigerian scams in the past 2 months

gordin [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I got one of those today too. It seems that the lines on the image are randomly generated.

Stuk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

"It seems that the lines on the image are randomly generated."
Ooo, interesting. Might mess with some spam filters?

And Philipp, could you make it more obvious that the last few lines are a haiku? It confused me for a bit!

Aaron Bassett [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I've been getting this kind of spam for a while now and as Gmails spam filters cant read the attached .gif they have been getting through to my inbox.
I've already submitted a feature request to Gmail asking for the ability to filter emails by attachment type rather than just the catch all 'has attachments'

I dont get alot of emails with just gif attachments so would be nice to be able to set up a filter like:

if [has attachment type *.gif] apply label [possibleSpam]

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Stuk, it's done, thanks.

Teodor Filimon [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Yeah those can be pretty annoying; the most annoying (for me anyway :-) are the free laptop, plasma tv, etc. ones and those with texts which seem to be literature (with the gif attachements, of course)

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yeah, i've been getting a WHOLE lot of the ones that have random lines from uncommon books and stuff. For some reason they seem to always have two words w/o a space between them after every few words (e.g. "Youngand old, in this sense, means whether he is young or old in theservice, irrespective of age.")

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I've just got the same image with this haiku:

solve not.
teacher.
during month period following reasons.

I think this is pretty deep ;]

BTW, For about three days Gmail's spam filter works for me and my friends terrible bad. I've got about 10-20 times more SPAM to my inbox than I got before.

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

For a while, I was getting a lot of spams with the subject in the form of: two words, two words

For example:
your cash, opium-taking
your future, night rail

Robert Marshall [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

The random words might be pulled from either web pages or search result snippets. I got one today (sorry, deleted it) that was telling me my browser doesn't support frames.

Also, it seems this stock spam is part of a more general trend of spam mail without actual links. Filters are getting so good at blocking URLs that I often get mail telling me to enter things in my browser's address bar manually.

Matt Nordhoff [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I get that exact stock spam, but I don't think it's ever been animated. Maybe Gmail's thumbnails show the last frame of animated GIFs or something.

Matt Nordhoff [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Over the last few months, excerpts from The Hobbit were frequently the filler stuff. It actually got me to start reading the book again. Sadly, now it's just a bunch of pretty bad stuff. :(

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!