Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Image Tagger

Garett Rogers [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, August 30, 2006
17 years ago3,429 views

Could these new domains:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/?p=311

be foreshadowing a feature similar to the new flicker/yahoo maps mashup (launched the same day these domains were registered)?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

maybe its for the their photoblogging tool set ?? After all most Phones are inbuilt with GPS .. and this could give the vectors of lat/Long automatically ..which then renders the picture onto Maps / Gearth.

This has been done before, but only with certain s/w ciritcal to GPS technologies and this dataset (GPS) still needs to be shared by the carrier (telco) to google so that they can render it on maps..

Question : Why have manual tagging (aka yahoo tagging) , when you can empower users to directly post .. with vectors ?

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Or may be it is related to the new acquisition they made "NevenVision"

BTW. Great find

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

if the speculations are true, Google will probably say its purpose is NOT for competing Yahoo! :P

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

oh yeah.. and great find indeed!!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"if speculations are true ?" –

huh ?? with google – all bets are off.. they never cease to amaze me!! :)-

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

>if the speculations are true, Google will probably say its purpose is NOT for competing Yahoo! :P

They probalby think MS is going to go that direction and want to compete with them.

Tony

Garett Rogers [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thanks..
and I agree that this product will definitely not compete with Yahoo... even if it is exatly the same service.

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i agree with Inferno. it may be related to NevenVision and their ability to tag images with specific data (keywords, GPS long/lat, related images, etc) that will match a specific location or building or historical site which will return related data to the user via mobile phone.

NevenVision > i-Scout: Travel Guide
http://www.josuemedia.com/google/neven_presentation.php?screen=10

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!