Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Apps for Your Domain Mocked  (View post)

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, August 30, 2006
17 years ago5,298 views

They do have some good points, though it will be interesting to see how the fee for service option from Google looks.

I'm not sure I would completely trust Google with my business info.

24 hour support (or at least support for the normal hours of your organization's operation) is a must in my opinion if you are going to get into Enterprise support.

I am still amazed that merchants and even customers don't have real people to deal with in regards to Google Checkout. It would seem to me that is must as well.

Tony

Jonez [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

To quote the Men at Work: "Smell the desperation."

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

If you're interested in some of the prices,
http://www.intermedia.net/it-professionals/hosted-exchange/dedicated-exchange-hosting/dedicated-exchange-hosting-plan-details.asp
If you've got >500 users, that'll be a $4,500 set-up fee, $4,500/month, $7/month for each additional mailbox, $1.49/month (per-mailbox) if you'd like anti-spam with your mailbox, ...

Ah, you wanted wireless access for your Treos? That'll be a $29.95 set-up fee, then $19.95/month. Ah, you wanted your messages archived? That's a $50 set-up fee, then just $49.95/month. Plus the cost of disk space, of course--that's $4.95 per 100 Mb.

I did think it was a clever press release, though..

piotr [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

The people who wrote that are obviously unprofessional. They just lost all respect I have had for them.

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

letting a third party host your company data is a huge legal risk, because it's discoverable by the gov't with a warrant that your provider will not try to fight.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Oh Matt got here before me... spot on Matt!! :)-

Lisa Coleman ,Marketing Manager (intermedia) is trying to do her job, but just like MAtt pointed out, there are hidden costs.

Hey, Matt – I think --we think alike .. show me the money!! :)-

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"letting a third party host your company data is a huge legal risk, because it's discoverable by the gov't with a warrant that your provider will not try to fight."

and "your" company can protect yourself better from subpoenas? Highly doubtful. A small business is more susceptible from a court of law than a larger company as Google in the states. Given Google's reputation I'd rather put my trust in Google than my 30 man company when it comes down to it.

jm [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

"First they ignore you
Then laugh at you and hate you
Then they fight you, then you win"

Robbie Williams (Trippin)

Fred [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Intermedia reminds me of this "NO UPTIME" fake funny hosting site

Ultimate Package 3
- 4 terabyates of Storage
- 40gb Bandwidth Transfer
- Dedicated WinNT 4.0 Server
- Dedicated RedHat 2.0 Server
- Dedicated Dedication
- 2 and a half MySQL Databases
- 29 email accounts
- One free broken toaster
- 2 glow sticks
- One Gallon of Pasteurized Milk

What makes us different?

No Uptime offers something no other host does. We offer bad grammar and horrible performance. Who else can give you all that?

We go out of our way to remind you how little you and your data means to us.
We'll even call you at 3am to remind you that your site is still down, who else offers this much support?

LOL

http://www.nouptime.com/

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

jm, that quotation originates with Gandhi:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mahatma_Gandhi

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Can't stop laughing with the NoUptime.com. ;)

Andi [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

They just lost all their respect. Such a bad behaviour will hopefully not be tolerated by anyone.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!