Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Skip Windows?  (View post)

dinah [PersonRank 0]

Tuesday, September 5, 2006
17 years ago10,389 views

Neat. But what is this blog, Flickr? Don't we even get a few words about the picture we're looking at? Photoshoped? Real XP hack? Satire???

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think it's be more like a boot-up option:

Windows XP Pro
GoogleOS

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i want that option!

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You think Google are going to make an OS... hmm. Wouldn't it be really tricky to do something like that?

I mean nothing would run on it. You'd have to push it to everyone (make it free). It all sounds rather like a big job. How are they going to pretend that is helping to organise the worlds info?

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Josue R:

http://apple.com/getamac

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Whats the source of the png ?? Any history behind this or is it a scoop ? Just asking ??

Jake's View [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think it's fake.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm quite sure it's just Philipp having some fun :)

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Dinah
<< Don't we even get a few words about the picture we're looking at? >>

probably Photoshoped :P

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

An insightful post about booting into Google:
http://billboebel.typepad.com/blog/2006/01/the_desktop_201.html

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Nice. :-)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

even if its photoshoped, the original thought process would have been seeded by something. That is, how did the idea orignate ?? what were the contending connectors / posts / comments etc etc ?? :)-

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Imagine that Google distributes a bootable CD-ROM containing a fast and compact browser and nothing else.

You insert the CD-ROM and boot up, and you get the choices: "Boot Windows" or "Go Straight to Google".

You select "Go Straight to Google" and your browser/OS is ready for use in two seconds. Or you select "Boot Windows" and it takes two minutes.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"OMG, that's my GTalk avatar!"

Ken Kuhl [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

someday.....

Soug [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Google's whole goal is to make an online "OS" that is accessible from anywhere, not a real Windows-like desktop OS.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<You think Google are going to make an OS >>
Sam, take a look at the following picture: (i cant find the website anywhere.. probably removed, so i only have the picture :))

its from Smart Office News posted by Adam Gosling – Wed 1 February 2006

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5800/buggi2az9.jpg

as some of you know (or dont know) Google doesnt use XP. they use a Linux based OS
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/31/google_goes_desktop_linux/

Smithey [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Google's ambitions are definately there to some degree... But it would be hard to think that Microsoft will just sit there and let such a thing happen. Google's diversification is pretty much limited to advertising. Any change in advertising spend or share will hit them in the shorts; their SEC fillings say that precisely (okay, minus the shorts bit). However, they are a smart company and are working on some interesting things to diversify beyond ads. Google OS? That would be an interesting play considering how Google's CEO is on Apple's board and Job's is on Google's... Software-as-a-Service is Google's play and pushing more users and enterprises to that model, making the OS and other installable software marginalized. In that light, keep your eyes out for Amazon (yes, I mean Amazon.com) believe it or not... Yahoo isn't idle either, just hiding in Google's shadow and press entourage (of which the majority of you swoon). Of course, don't count out Microsoft or long-term nemesis IBM... It's going to be an interest next ten years...

Props to the Photoshop (or probably GIMP) user who crafted such an ample and subtle context in which this topic could live.

-TD- [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Meh, puchase Apple. Sorry I needed more words.

SCJM [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Purchase whatever you want. Don't listen to all of the people who act like freaking marketers for brand x.

ps: use firefox!
pps: use apple!

Sarah [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

you are such a tease!!

Antisoug [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Google's whole goal is to make an online OS that is accessible from anywhere, not a "real" Windows-like desktop OS.

elyk [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

I remember reading about goobuntu, and that it was a google linux variation, but that it was designed for internal use, not for the general public

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Brilliant.

Randhir Reddy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

They're already on a path to OS independent, browser-based access to users information. With the arrival of GDrive, things will become clearer and more profound. And It's about time people start embracing the online apps, coz that's the future.

The Whale [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Smithey is on the right track. Google’s foot is in Apples door and Apples is in Google’s door. Apple makes Hardware and an OS that people fall in love with. Google has information, and they give it to the people of the world for free. With those two giants together the world will really see change. I remember reading about the mysterious GoogleCube, rumored to bring everything Google to your TV, plug into your phone, and network everything in your home. Google denied the rumor, saying that it’s not a hardware company. Well, Apple is defiantly a hardware company. I’ve already begun networking my house with speaker in every room. My Christmas present to myself is a Mac Mini and a 42 inch flat screen TV. That with my $29.95 high speed internet, and my Personal Google Homepage set as my default webpage I’ll be connected right where my family spends the most time…in front of the Telly. I’ll be in Media Heaven, with all my personal pictures, videos, and music. Gmail, Google Talk, Google Video, Stream radio from itunes (blaring in every room), Google Calendar, personal website (free from Google), Contacts, Google Local Maps, Shopping, and they just keep building things I can use every day.

Windows has always mimicked Apple (Window’s Vista OS – Coming Soon). Bill Gates is a smart guy and has built a great company by being smart and being first. Windows gave birth to the PC (Personal Computer). Windows doesn’t make me feel connected the way Google does and no OS feels more at home than Apples OS. It might take years or even a decade, but that’s the way the world is moving.

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I already love the idea!

Corallinkz [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Is it real?

How to do like that?

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

My XP needs at least 10 minutes until it's fully loaded with all the utilities I that load at startup. So I would really prefer a Skip Intro button.

Teodor Filimon [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

I'm sure they'll release a patch for the bug in the screenshot :)

Misaras Stefan [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Apple and google. Sounds really good. I really like the idea of "skipping XP" and logging into google! When is the GoogleOS coming out? Looking forward to it! Simple, not so many un-useful options that make it so complicated, and a lot of plugins(if you want them). And apple... is simple too, yet so loveable and loved by the users!

Well... still looking fwd to a OS that loads in less than 2 mins and that does not look like XP at all!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes, I photoshopped this image. The basic idea is that we use more and more apps inside our browser. If the trend continues, we might just "skip Windows" and open our "OS" as a browser window (Microsoft's biggest fear?). Of course, there will be some OS running below the browser... but people may not care about its specifics that much.

Eric Cranston [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

In some ways I agree with us..."embracing online apps" but we really shouldn't. The problem is if we begin to make things work only online is that we screw over a very large amount of people (the number of people in the US alone that only have access to dialup at a reasonable rate is very large). Now most do have broadband now...but at the same time I find the way that current browsers are setup inconvient for things like writely or google notebook. And I usely go and open open office or notepad or something. And then there's complicated things like photoshop...which I suppose could be done on the web (some sort of flash crazyiness) but do we really want to?

To me it seems the biggest advantage to developers is that they can actually control who users there product (anti-piracy) And the biggest advantage to users is that they can access there stuff and do whatever from anywhere (and no install which bugs some)

Though (this we kill the main advantage for developers) something like a download site feature would be killer. Like I could download say Writely, and then there'd be a link in my start menu....even if I was disconnected it would work totally fine. And when opened it would appear like an application...no browser skin around it. Just it there. It'd be sweet.

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Reminds me of the concept of the network computer that was hyped several years ago and then died. Great idea. Web 2.0 is it's second chance.

Until then we got to face the facts. We are in the 1950ies of the computer era. Back then you also had to wait several minutes before your tv set was finally "on".

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> We are in the 1950ies of the computer era. Back
> then you also had to wait several minutes before
> your tv set was finally "on".

Seriously? Wow.

noname [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

I think it should not be a problem to make it – some simplest linux + network and graphic drivers (can be automaticaly downloaded), firefox with some hack to work without gui, and with a bit changed interface – default with icons to writely, spreadsheets, gmail, maps ... and with google homepage. I think it would be great to implement it to modern BIOS

kai uhlemeyer [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

turn off computer is also a nice option.. why didn't this entry focus on that!? ;)

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

TS> We are in the 1950ies of the computer era. Back
TS> then you also had to wait several minutes before
TS> your tv set was finally "on".

PL> Seriously? Wow.

Wow, there are people alive today who aren't old enough to remember having to wait for the TV to warm up?

First the valve heater filaments had to bring the valves up to operating temperature, then the sound would come to life (usually with a few seconds of hiss and mains hum as everything stabilised), then the picture would fade into view. More often than not, the picture would roll for a few more seconds before the vertical hold stabilised.

Today of course TVs use transistors and integrated circuits instead of valves, although in a CRT television the CRT itself is a giant valve that needs to warm up. The only reason the image appears in just a few seconds on a modern CRT TV is that a small trickle current runs through the CRT filament whenever the TV is plugged in (to ensure a fast warm-up).

17 years ago #

I am moving away from all the web 2.0 apps. If you have a laptop and are always using the same machine then surely using desktop products is better. I still use web based services but read my mail offline so I get the bonus of being able to have the best UI for mail AND I could check it in Gmail itself if I was away from my computer. Same with my calendar which I am "broadcasting" up to Google Calendar.

dadalo [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I'm putting the link to this img into the "startup" folder of the public pcs I'm using. Maybe you'd like to do the same...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!