Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google News Archive Search

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, September 6, 2006
17 years ago5,210 views

This was predicted in the forums a little while ago, but today Google has launch a news archive search facility:

http://news.google.com/archivesearch

It features 200 years of archival data from the New York Times and the UK's Guardian, but includes most of the sources available from daily Google News.

It's a really *really* useful sevice that lets you view articles on timelines to get a real sense for the flow and context of world news, giving current news articles an instant sense of history.

This will be a boon for schools, researchers, and anyone interested in knowing the how and why of things, in the context of their time.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

this looks like a great addition to Google news. now if they would just modernise the interface.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Agreed. I have this Philip K. Dick inspired vision of what an 'online' paper should look like. It looks a lot like a normal newspaper, but with embedded movies, pictures, live updates, and dynamic content.

Google News is excellent, but its usability is terms of *readability* doesn't even approach conventional newspapers. Still, the parts are all there. Combine Google News with a bit of IGoogle, bit of Google Video, and a lot of Ajax... ;)

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Most of the articles need to pay...

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yeah, i'm looking forward to the video in google news too. that should be out soon though.

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This is just excellent. I've SO been wanting this.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Wow – it's not even in Beta!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

this maybe just the mind altering tool for humanity..!! think of reading letters about the Napoleonic Wars or clips from Black Monday of 1929 or any stuff which was only in print in the old type wayback machines (aka, the filing cabinets) :)_

James [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

This is a great idea.

Well done google.

Some newspapers need to get more realistic about the cost of obtaining an article, but that's not google's fault.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Some newspapers need to get more realistic about the cost of obtaining an article, but that's not google's fault."

Ditto!

Tony

Wayne Fulton [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I downloaded that congoo netpass and it actually gets you into premium articles for free. I used googles search engine to find the articles so the software must work independently of the congoo search engine. A search I did:

http://www.congoo.com/web.aspx?query=heart+disease

You'll see archives of newspapers and sources like Harvard & Britannica and yeah, its actually free.

Gary Price [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

If you're looking for "premium content" for free with nothing to download check your local library. Most offer 24x7x365 access from home or office or any web computer, all you need is a library card.

Each library offers different dbases but most offer something one library in suburban Dallas that offers a database with several thousand publications, archived, browsable, and in some cases full image files in PDF.

They also provide full text and full image access FREE to every article published in the NY Times back to 1851. All searchable including advertisements.

One database offers more than 4500 full text publications while another offers cover to cover indexing from more than 100 newspapers.

If you nave lots of old computer magazines lying around, they also offer
Internet and Personal Computing Abstracts.

Again, each library offers differernt dbases but it's all free. Just get a free library card and your on your way.

More in this post from another thread.
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/66600.html#id66711

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!