Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Web of Letters  (View post)

Mark [PersonRank 0]

Saturday, March 12, 2005
19 years ago

Wow, thats really lovely. How on earth do you manage that? Do you just search for "letter x", etc?
It works surprisingly well, considering the mediocre quality of image search engines.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Mark, exactly – I'm searching for "letter x", "number 8", "exlamation mark", "question mark" and so on.

Michael [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Do you cache results? That may help with yahoo api limits a bit...

19 years ago #

No I didn’t cache. Well... now I had to download the XML files manually and create a cache.

andrew [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

looks like there's a limit of 5,000 queries per day per IP. If I'm reading this correctly, that means that for shared hosts like that which I use (Textdrive) that totals 5,000 for all users hosted on that particular server. Ouch.

http://developer.yahoo.net/documentation/rate.html

Jason [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Yes they do limit by ip. So you just need to make the xml grabbing part client side and then that would get around that issue.

My comparison of the Yahoo API and Google API describes the ip limit at http://shiwej.com/archives/2005/03/02/google-api-versus-yahoo-api/

19 years ago #

Are there any client-side samples available? I tried to get it to work with XMLHTTP but somehow, it didn't work (doesn't XMLHTTP allow grabbing other server's XML files?).

J Jensen [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Iam also interesed in a client site solution.
Do you guys know of a way to get around the api limitations?

Sydney Teagarden [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

this is wonderful! I had type in "Ransom Type" in the yahoo search engine- hoping to find some type of font to use- but this is way better. Very impressive- you should make a webpage for it. Lovely!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!