Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Idea: Google Personal Library Search

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, September 9, 2006
17 years ago3,042 views

Here's an idea for a Google Book Search feature.

Problem: I have over 100 books in my personal library. Many of those books relate to my career and faith, and I reference them often. Correction – I want to reference them often, but finding what I want through my collection is a pain.

Solution: Google Book Search should allow me to list which books I personally own, and roll my own search engine that brings results only from my collection. I should be able to share this personalized book search with my friends, so that if they find something in my collection, they can borrow it from me. And my personal collection results should appear in my regular Google search results, and my G Desktop results.

My personal book collection is where some of my most valuable information is stored, and it's in desperate need of a search solution.This could be a really popular feature for Google to create.

What do you guys think?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You're brilliant, they're hiring.

John Marshall [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

I love the idea. Lets see if Google's smart enough to actually do it.
I hope they do. It seems to fit perfectly with their misson.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think it's very easy to implement that. But are you sure they've indexed the books from your collection?

John Marshall [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Just to clear what I said up. By smart enough, I didn't mean it was something hard to do for them, but that they would be smart enough to actually listen and work on such a great idea :)

And the only way they would know what your books are would be to have you tell them what you have, unless they look at what you have bought through Google Checkout
That would be the most annoying part about it. But once you tell them everything you have, it would be easy to use..

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"But are you sure they've indexed the books from your collection?"

That's probably the biggest problem. with this idea – the comprehensiveness of Google's book search index.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!