Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Y! mail vs gmail

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, September 14, 2006
17 years ago3,595 views

has anyone seen the new Ajax version of the yahoo mail ? How does it comp with Gmail ??

I am seeing some great reviews, but when I log into my yahoo mail, the interface is the old one..

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Do you mean this one?
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-01-20-n26.html

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

it's a lot better than the old one. The spam filter dosn't seem to be as good as Gmail's though. Can't use it on anything except XP (i think)

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's quite good, but not as fast as Gmail.
The ads are also much too aggressive.

And it's very annoying that yahoo toolbar isn't in sync with the number of new messages you have.

It's also very cach dependant: I receive quite a lot of errors concerning cache.

But although this sounds all very negative, I do use it every day beneath my gmail & hosted gmail mail applications.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Philipp, what you point too is old (I think!!).. The version that I am refering to , is a remake and in fully launched status.. (after a tightly closed beta) ..

One user called me and said, " it kicks gmails butt" – so there is some heavy stuff in there!!

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I still see beta listed on my Yahoo Account, and didn't see any announcements on the log-in screen of a general release or update.

I do like the new Yahoo, but agree the ads are too obnoxious. I have come around to liking the Tabs, and would like to see Google implement that.

That said, I will probably stick with Gmail.

Tony

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

ok direct access is here for
http://new.mail.yahoo.com/

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Why does Yahoo quote their new product with an old review?
"The new interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." – PC Magazine *09/20/2005*
A year ago....

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

LOL.. thats a good catch Haochi.. ..I think those were all alpha reviews...but they should have given a CTP Preview to media to support for publix beta

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

its kinda like Hotmail (the new version..) isnt it?

anyhow, i dont like it! the old version was wayyy better than the new one!!!
its dumb and Gmail are still headfirst!

17 years ago #

ohh yeah..
and whats with the stupid purple guy?
is he gay or something?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Haochi sez:

<<Why does Yahoo quote their new product with an old review?
"The new interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." – PC Magazine *09/20/2005*
A year ago....>>

Wrong. Yahoo Mail Beta has been available for more than year. For example, I have it from January.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here] David, I've been noticing those colours more and more from Yahoo. There publisher program also has the same colours.

17 years ago #

well these colors are annoying!

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yea. i also think its better then the old one. but i think gmail is much better. gmail is faster, has more functionality, etc..

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Honestly the new Yahoo Mail feels terrifically bloated.

17 years ago #

youre completely right Sohil :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!